assassin loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumrah

Aquarium Advice Freak
In a previous post, i talked about my loaches being aggressive towards my smaller angelfish. I relocated this poor guy, but now the loaches have just displaced their rage towards the other cichlids in my tank (2 blue rams). I'm afraid they're going to stress my cichlids to death, not to mention tear up their fins more.

Help!

Something will have to change. Either the loaches will have to be relocated (or traded in at the lfs) or you will have to remove the cichlids. However, if you just remove the cichlids, the loaches may just turn on someone else. Just my two cents.

the guy who got me hooked on loaches also kept some larger african cichlids. I think if i have something bigger than the loaches and somewhat aggressive, it might hold its own

Food

Are the loaches getting enough food? I've noticed mine will get very testy when the other fish start feeding off the bottom. I can usually tell when they're hungry because they start tearing up the gravel and swimming frantically in the corners or near the surface of the tank.

You might want to try weighing down some lettuce or zucchini and seeing what they do. To weigh it down I use some lead-free fishing weights and some fishing line or string threaded through the veggies. I've tried shrimp pellets but they sometimes go untouched and only serve to attract the mid- and top-feeders to the bottom. The other thing I've tried is feeding whole flakes rather than crushing it up. It's usually too big for the other feeders so it'll eventually sink and the loaches can tear it up easily.

Just today one of my loaches what terrorizing my Platies looking for food. I did the flake trick and he calmed right down. I think if any fish gets hungry enough it will start to get aggressive because of survival instincts.

Back
Top Bottom