Assassin Snail in 3 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello All!

I recently got my mother a Betta as a gift. I bought him and a 3 gallon tank and then gave her a bunch of live plants. I was cleaning out one of my tanks and found a snail I was going to through out (must have hitchhiked in on a plant but didnt breed in my tank) and my mother decided it was just to cruel to kill it and so she kept it. Well since then it has grown quite big and she is really fond of it. (No clue what kind it is) And she has gotten more into the little tank and ordered a plant on her own it came with snail eggs on it and the tank is just becoming overtaken by snails now. I am concerned about so many snails being in such a small tank and how the betta may fair. She enjoys watching the snails and doesn't really want to kill the big one. I has tried talking her into killing all the snails and getting soemthign like a nerite or two but she is totalyl against that idea. So I was thinking assassin snails might be a good option? I have never had them tho so was wanting thoughts? Also what do you feed them once they eat up all the baby snails? Would two be okay?

When I talked to the girl at my LFS about a similar problem she said I should buy one assassin snail for my 10 gallon and it would take care of the whole thing. When I asked about what to do once the pest snails were gone she said that there was a good chance the assassin would die (usually refuse to eat anything but live snails) and that once they were gone I should just bring the assassin back to the store.

Back
Top Bottom