Assassin snails DEAD OR ALIVE????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got 6 assassin snails in the mail. The problem is that they were delivered to the wrong address yesterday and I have a feeling they were left out in the cold all night. I have never had snails before. I have them still in the bag and floating in the tank. They haven't moved at all and I'm not sure if they are dead or alive. I don't want to open the bag if they are dead because the seller will replace them if they were dead when I received them, but the bag has to be unopened. Is there any way to tell if they are dead? Please help.
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Does the seller just require pics of the DOAs or what? Once you figure out your DOA policy and do as requested, I'd get them acclimated into the new tank asap and see if they bounce back. They might just be in hibernation mode from the trip. This species likes to dig and hide a lot, so it might just be 'clammed up' if it has nowhere to do that.

If you don't see them hanging out of their shells dead then there's still hope that they are fine.

Snails are very resilient and as long as they were packed well and the temps weren't extreme they are probably o.k.

Does the seller just require pics of the DOAs or what? Once you figure out your DOA policy and do as requested, I'd get them acclimated into the new tank asap and see if they bounce back. They might just be in hibernation mode from the trip. This species likes to dig and hide a lot, so it might just be 'clammed up' if it has nowhere to do that.

If you don't see them hanging out of their shells dead then there's still hope that they are fine.

Snails are very resilient and as long as they were packed well and the temps weren't extreme they are probably o.k.

The seller does require pics of DOAs, which I just emailed to them. I do have them acclimated right now by hanging the sealed bag floating in the tank. A couple of them appear to be hanging out of their shells a little, a couple I don't see anything and a couple seem to be flat with the shell (if that makes sense). I have read that if they are dead they stink. I didn't want to open the bag until I head back from the seller. How long can they live in the bag? They've been in there since the 10th.

Thanks for your help

Yeah, if the seller just requires pics then you can go ahead and try to acclimate. Most sellers don't require you to send back the unopened package, unless they stated it in their policy. (I only know of 2 off the top of my head that required the doas sent back)

ok. I opened the bag and am acclimating them. I picked up each one of them and what I see is a tiny white beek or whatever you call it, sticking out of each one of them. If I lightly touch it nothing happens. Does that mean they are dead?

I feel so bad for the little guys.

I know that most snails stink to high heaven when they die. I don't know about assasins, the body would be sticking all the way out if they die. Can you post pics?

I know that most snails stink to high heaven when they die. I don't know about assasins, the body would be sticking all the way out if they die. Can you post pics?

I've already put them in the tanks. They did not stink and I had read that assassins do stink when they are dead. The bodies are not sticking all the way out. As for posting a picture, I don't have any close enough that you can see much at all. They are so tiny. Anyway, they are in the tanks and I guess all I can do is watch and wait. Thanks

I recently bought some of these and the weather took a turn for the worst, needless to say I was worried seeing as it was 29 degrees for 2 days in a row! For me I drip acclimated them and they started moving around after about a half hour of warmer water, hopefully yours will also. They seem to be fairly hardy so I think you have a good chance of them being okay.

I recently bought some of these and the weather took a turn for the worst, needless to say I was worried seeing as it was 29 degrees for 2 days in a row! For me I drip acclimated them and they started moving around after about a half hour of warmer water, hopefully yours will also. They seem to be fairly hardy so I think you have a good chance of them being okay.

I drip acclimated them and they never moved. I've put them in the tanks and they still are not moving. Doesn't look good.

I believe for assasins they take a while to wake up. It took him two days to finally move. Maybe put some food next to them? Sure worked for me ;)

Looking forward to your update today. Hopefully, you have lots of creepy crawlies in your tank.

Looking forward to your update today. Hopefully, you have lots of creepy crawlies in your tank.

I'm afraid all of my little guys are dead. Their little bodies are now sticking out of their shells. They did not move at all over night. Very sad. The seller said he would "make it good", so hopefully the next 6 will arrive alive and well. I'm considering getting 6 additional snails.

I so appreciate everyones suggestions and encouragement.

Hang in there some of my assassins took day or two get moving. And they stink to high hell when dead

Are you positive, absolutely positive, that they're dead. Just because they're sticking out doesn't mean squat.

Are you positive, absolutely positive, that they're dead. Just because they're sticking out doesn't mean squat.

Ok. I've been told that if their sticking out of their shells they are dead. I've been told that if they stink, they are dead. I've been told that if they don't move, they are dead. So how the heck do you tell? I'm sure there is no one way, but is there a good way?

Maltimomma said:
Ok. I've been told that if their sticking out of their shells they are dead. I've been told that if they stink, they are dead. I've been told that if they don't move, they are dead. So how the heck do you tell? I'm sure there is no one way, but is there a good way?

What people keep saying, just wait. If they don't move in 2 days, they probably aren't alive. Take one out and smell it then.

If you Have other inverts, they can also help tell you when something dies. They notice and eat the dead thing. Very soon after it dies too.

What about touching one that is hanging out of it's shell to see if it withdraws back into the shell?

When one f my assassins died the others ate it! Give them two days and if they don't move at all then I'd say it's game over

Back
Top Bottom