Assin snail vs clown loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eny97

Aquarium Advice Regular
Recently I got a hornwort plant from my local pet shop and I later noticed a snail in my tank it then went on to have 30 or so baby's and I don't want my tank to be over run with snails. So my question is would an assassin snail(from the knowledge I know kill snails I could be wrong) be the best option for thinning out the snail population or would a clown loach be better? I would like to keep some of the snails but I don't want to use chemicals to kill them. The tank consists of platties mollies guppies cory cats and a Chinese algae eater

As lilme points out, clown loaches get large and are active fish.

Assassin snails are probably a better choice for a small community.

Clown loaches also need a few pals of their own kind to be content at all and they grow fairly fast the first few years. Assassin snails are a much better bet given the fish you have already. Even one will eventually eat every other snail you have, though it might take awhile to get rid of them all.

Now you've learned why it's a good idea to at least rinse new plants..and dipping them works even better, to kill of algae or live hitchhikers, before they go in the tank.

Definitely go with the assasin. Like other people have said loaches should be in groups and they get massive. One of my favorite fish but not one I would suggest for many tanks because of size

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Or put a piece of Romaine or Algae wafer in a clear jar and during the night , check your bait and remove the snails.

My Pond and MTS snails aren't a big deal. They leave healthy plants alone.

MTS help aerate my sand.
Pond snails keep things clean.

If I get a ton of Snails I know I'm overfeeding.

I occasionally net or bait out some if needed.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might, possibly, get an Asolene spixi snail, if you can find some.

They are a member of the Apple snail family, but only reach half the size of a Mystery snail when grown. Beige with random brown stripes, pale cream body. Not as pretty as Assassins are but attractive enough. They will eat other snails, mainly pond, bladder and ramshorns, snails that don't have doors to hide behind.

They don't kill them all, [ I think they get lazy maybe ], but they do keep the numbers from getting out of hand. They don't have a lot of babies themselves either. You see the very occasional clutch of eggs, under water, but they are very obvious and easy to remove if you don't want them to hatch. Net the clutch or suck it out with a siphon and dry them out. The clutch is yellowish and about the size of, what's a good comparison.. say, the size of a large raisin.

Back
Top Bottom