Asterina Starfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duoc9119

Aquarium Advice Freak
I moved a piece of live rock because I had found a really small feather duster on it today, so I moved it so I could watch it better than getting into an odd position to see it behind the rocks. Upon moving the rock I found something that I think could be an Asterina Starfish. It is white with kind of a dragon skin skin pattern. Its hard to tell in the picture but you can defiantly see the starfish

Attachments

• Photo0667.jpg
    Photo0667.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 134
Can't say for sure from the picture but it does look like an asterina. They are (usually) good. If you see it sitting on corals and the corals close up (star is not just passing over) get rid of it. Otherwise it will eat a little algae for you.

Looks like one to me. I have many in my tank and have given many away. Good janitors IMO.

This is literally the first time I've seen it so who knows how long its been pinned between the two rocks. It looks like the other 3 legs are in the process of regenerating. I've had my Torch in the tank for almost a month and have never seen anything crawling on it. After moving the rock the star was moving down the rock towards the base and is probably in one of the many caves.

He wont bother anything. You can rest assured there is more than that one there.

He wont bother anything. You can rest assured there is more than that one there.

Really? Its 3 gallon with 5 lbs of live rock. I have never seen them on the glass or rocks. Just a lot of brittle stars and spaghetti worms and those tiny shrimp pod things. I figured if there were more I would see them around the tank more often

I didnt think I had that many either. LOL

100_0616.JPG

I didnt think I had that many either. LOL

100_0616.JPG

Haha sweet. Want to send some my way? I have some tough brown algae spots that I can't get rid of and my snails are lazy. Its a plastic/maybe acrylic tank I got at petsmart during the holiday sale and converted to a saltwater tank. I don't want to try to use those heavy duty razor blades on a stick I've been suggested

I promise you`ll plenty in short time. They reproduce like there aint no tomorrow.

So I should have 3 new stars? It looks like the one I found got 3 of his legs cut off (thought moving rocks around had smashed his legs)

get rid of them, i caught them eating my 200 + zooanthid colony, and I lost a huge elegance do to these guys.

I haven't found an issue with them yet. There's only a Torch Coral and has yet been touched by anything

You`ll be alright with them. Never had any problem with them in almost 13 years of reef keeping.

I'm just waiting for a massive colony of them to erupt out of the rocks to clean my tank. lol The razor bladed algae tool did nothing but scratch the tank a bit before I stopped

Mike is right. The Asterinas that are almost completely white in color are the reef safe ones. However, if you find any that look exactly the same as these guys, but are a dark brown color, exterminate them. The brown Asterinas are in the same family as the white ones, only they DO eat all types of corals, and are most widely known for devouring zoanthid polyps.

The one I found is all white so looks like I'm good to go. Anyone know how long it takes for these to grow?

Don't worry about how long it takes, because it's a very short time. If there is a food source in your tank, they will multiply, and very quickly. In a couple more weeks you will see more. I can almost guarantee it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom