Attaching backgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermazz9

Aquarium Advice Activist
what's the best way to attach a new background? I heard about some oil trick (breifly, in passing, no explanation) and I've seen some stuff (can't remember name) at big al's.

what's the best way to attach a background without getting those dark patches, just nice clear background?

I dont know the "oil trick" I just taped mine on, since i have a black frame I used black electrical tape, then I cut off the excess..

The oil method works great. First cut your background to the correct size. Then take some vegetable oil...some use a paper towel to wipe oil onto the back of the tank, I just used my fingers. Once you have a nice thin layer of oil on the back of the tank, stick the top of the background to the top of the tank, and using some sort of flat edge to scrape downward and stick the rest of the background on. The goal here is to remove any air between the background and the glass. This can take a few tries and some work, but the end result is worth it. Keep working out any air bubbles and wipe up any oil that oozed out and you're done.

I used a metal putty knife, but I've also heard of credit cards or the like being used.

Good luck.

Oil Is The Best

Oil is the best way to have a black-spot-free background. Simply apply it like would would anything you don't want to have bubbles. A window tint sqeegee works the best but if that's not available use a credi card.
Good Luck and I hope it turns out pretty!

hmm may have to try that, the tape doesnt bother me though but I may try this, i have a scraper made just for vinyl wall borders so its perfect for the job!

I've used a simular method as the oil but used vaseline instead. Same idea with the air bubbles though...I used a rubber squeegee to force the bubble out. My back ground was attached for 3 years before I needed the reapply.

supermazz9 said:
what's the best way to attach a new background? I heard about some oil trick (breifly, in passing, no explanation) and I've seen some stuff (can't remember name) at big al's.

what's the best way to attach a background without getting those dark patches, just nice clear background?

Did you buy the background yet?

IMO the best way to attach a background is with a paint brush :)

Meaning.........paint it...........you'll never have to worrry about it again.
And it looks damn sexy too! :wink:
Check out any of my sig links......I paint all my tanks.........yes even the 90G with the rock work.

What is actually the difference? Mine is taped and looks good, and I don't know what I am missing. If I press the background up against the glass (I have a little space in between) it looks the same. Or is it a completely different concept?

Back
Top Bottom