Attempt at moss wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey fresh! Well that's the funny part, I posted three threads back in the day asking to ID this plant, but I had no answer ever. My cube is indeed FILLED with runners! But honestly I don't mind since the betta swims mid-water and I like the jungly apperence.
I am only dosing liquid co2 and EI, no roottabs. An ID on this plant would be great though! ;)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

It's not saggitaria subulata. I have this in my other tank and it looks quite different. I do think it is some kind of broad leaf chain sword. :)

It's probably another species of chain sword. The broadleaf chain sword in my tank stayed nice and small without CO2. I was adding excel but was not diligent with it. Here is a before and after (6 weeks) with DIY CO2:
zwMmzgC.jpg
Here it is 3 months later gone wild:
s6OKnwQ.jpg
I pulled it all out and gave a few swords a second chance but after repeatedly clipping new runners, the main plants grew to the top of the tank. Obviously I could not find a balance with this plant.
Back to the moss wall...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hahaha we keep getting off-topic! But I really couldn't care less. I love the feeling of growing things myself! :) so fresh2o, glad to have you on board!

It has totally filled in nicely! Is all the way to the glass of the left now. Looks amazing!!!

29g Community

3g Betta

@Alex, not sure if you're talking about my wall or about Fresh' dazzling tankshots! ;)

Looks good! There's still some brown on mine, is it best to trim it out or just leave it?

Hey Theresa! It depends on what the cause of the browning is. My moss had some brownish tint to it as well (right before I took the pics). But I got the amazing idea (don't laugh) to go through it with a chopstick and disrupt the moss a bit. The brown spots was actually a lot of detritus that just got stuck over the past month(s). After that I gently hovered my aquavac near it to get rid of any last chunks. Now it is back to the green as it should be.
If you think that the moss is burnt, or has browned because of other causes, I would definitely suggest a trim ;)
Sorry for the long read!

Hey Theresa! It depends on what the cause of the browning is. My moss had some brownish tint to it as well (right before I took the pics). But I got the amazing idea (don't laugh) to go through it with a chopstick and disrupt the moss a bit. The brown spots was actually a lot of detritus that just got stuck over the past month(s). After that I gently hovered my aquavac near it to get rid of any last chunks. Now it is back to the green as it should be.
If you think that the moss is burnt, or has browned because of other causes, I would definitely suggest a trim ;)
Sorry for the long read!

I use chopsticks to defunk my moss all the time, it's a great tool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, decided to do this update a little earlier as I won't be home for the weekend. Not much has changed, still waiting for it to fill up. It's taking longer than expected :(

It's looking good, it will get there eventually.
You could always trim it a bit and add that to the bits you want to fill in, if you kept on doing that then eventually you'd get an even and more consistent rate of growth across the wall.

That's actually a very good idea. Problem is that I sewed both pieces together.. So I can't stuff more in. It will have to grow like this, can't be asked to separate the pieces again (it was so frustrating lol)

I think it's called yarn in english, not sure though.. It was a black/blue thread :) was gonna use fishline at the start, but that was too tricky to work with!

Hopefully it synthetic and not cotton otherwise you'll be sewing it again in a few months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I believe it's synthetic yes! ;)

Hey guys, guess who's back :)
First of all I'd like to apologize for missing out 2 weeks now, I've been quite the busy bee!
With that being said, here are some pics of my mosswall now:

Still some patches to be filled up! :) considering the small pot I had in the beginning, I think I have 30x the amount of moss I had back then!

Back
Top Bottom