Aunts discus build thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscar98

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my aunt now likes discus. I went to her house today and talked to her about how much work and money it would be to keep them. Shes up to the task. So far this is what is happening. It is going to be a 150g should it be a 48"x24"x36" or the reg 6'? Im thinkin reg 6' although they like tall tanks, i think 28" will be tall enough.

6' 150g
Fx5
Rena xp4
Maybe a fluidized sand bed filter?

What lighting???

10-15 discus
5-10 roseline barbs
15 rumynose tetras
10-15 S. cory

Would red head tapajos be to aggressive for a discus tank? She like them too. I think they would be a problem but worth asking.

Also, it will be a sand bed and some plants and a piece or two of driftwood.

I welcome any suggested changes to stock and any revisions in anything i may be doing wrong. And tips and advice haha

Thanks!

The barbs might be too active for the discus, and stress them out. I would do 20 or so Rummies, and another large school of Cardinals.

The barbs might be too active for the discus, and stress them out. I would do 20 or so Rummies, and another large school of Cardinals.

Ya thats what i was thinking but i wasnt sure how active they are. So they are off the list. I think she likes neons better so it will prob be them instead of cardinals. Thanks!

Neons are a bit smaller than Cardinals. Cardinals are usually the choice schoolers for Angels, Discus, etc because of their larger size.

Neons are a bit smaller than Cardinals. Cardinals are usually the choice schoolers for Angels, Discus, etc because of their larger size.

Ok thanks. I mostly am only smart with big cichlids lol. She told me she wants a discus tank and is willing to spend up to $1g so we have a lot of lee way lol

Ok thanks. I mostly am only smart with big cichlids lol. She told me she wants a discus tank and is willing to spend up to $1g so we have a lot of lee way lol

It's going to be hard to do a 150 Gal Discus tank with $1,000... Getting that many Discus is going to cost a lot. The tank, filtration, etc. Gunna be hard!

Cool. The cheaper, healthy, good ones are $30 and up, so at least another $300. Lights are going to cost a lot.

Cool. The cheaper, healthy, good ones are $30 and up, so at least another $300. Lights are going to cost a lot.

She said 1g as a guess i think haha. I dint think she cares how much it will be. But shes still crazy if you ask me. Ya ill find some semi-cheap lights

Okay. You will probably need two three foot quad T5HO lights for plants, maybe some co2, also. You'll need pressurized co2 on a tank like this.

Oh come on, it's a discus tank. Gotta do better than that! =P

I have 0 exp with plants outside let alone in a tank lololol! I might but shes the one with the money haha. Im gana be the one taking care of it though. Lucly she has a 230ft well where she gets her water

Back
Top Bottom