Auratus holding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach103

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my auratus has a big belly at first I thought it was bloat from over feeding so I didn't feed for a couple days and that's the only fish that has it. It doesn't seem to be acting any different than usual and all water parameters are good. The only other auratus I have is a blue juvenile along with the blue Johanni. I will get a picture after class. Is there any other reason for a big belly ?

They are mouth brooders so more then likely its bloat.

If the fish in question is eating it's not Bloat it's simply overfed, a fish in that stage of the disease would be knockin' on heavens door.

Last edited:
Okay. Ya I may have just jumped to conclusions. I just checked it and the belly is getting smaller. I fed them today and will fast them again to work it's way back to normal

Cichlids from Lake Malawi have a long digestive track (some neary 3-4x their body length) to extract nutrients from grazing on algae so with today's nutrient dense food a little goes along way. It's easy to overfeed which why I'd recommend fasting them for 48hrs every 7-10 days to ensure the track is clear.

Back
Top Bottom