auto fish feeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozorowsky

Aquarium Advice Freak
What would you say is the best auto fish feeder?

I am thinking of buying the Eheim 3581; thoughts please?

FishN00b83 said:
I have herd nothing but horror stories about auto feeders.

Same, from what I've heard and read reviews they're extremely unreliable....

have you guys read about the one I mentioned specifically? Its digital, guaranteed, blah blah blah about.com has good reviews.

I'd love to get one (the right one) that I can just keep an eye on. The one I listed has a low battery and low food light warning so all you have to do is look at your tank once a day and know whats going on.

I use those same ones on my lease tanks you need to clean the drum monthly and when the batts die you need to reset the clock only thing i dont like is the slide to adjust the amount of food it feeds mine are set to feed once a day. ohh a bit pricey too, keep them away from any HOB's as they clog I velcro them to my lights as the heat helps to keep the food dry

ozorowsky said:
What would you say is the best auto fish feeder?

I am thinking of buying the Eheim 3581; thoughts please?

I have this particular food dispenser and it works just fine for me. I only use it when I have to go on long trips because I don't have anyone that can feed my fish while I'm gone. IMO, it's a good product. Bought my cheap new in box on eBay, much cheaper than retail.

I have this particular food dispenser and it works just fine for me. I only use it when I have to go on long trips because I don't have anyone that can feed my fish while I'm gone. IMO, it's a good product. Bought my cheap new in box on eBay, much cheaper than retail.

Is there anything you don't like about it? Why don't you use it full time?

ozorowsky said:
Is there anything you don't like about it? Why don't you use it full time?

I personally enjoy feeding my fish manually and like watching them eat. I suppose the auto feeder would be good on a different setup than mine of you were the type to have timers on your lights, Co2, etc... My nano cube has an integrated lid that makes it esthetically unappealing to have the feeder mounted on top. I just do it occasionally to keep my fish fed if I go away for long trips. It really came in handy when I left overseas for a month long trip. I just set a light on an auto timer to work in concert with the Eheim feeder. I'll have to admit, even at the lowest setting, I had to do an immediate PWC when I returned. Looked like a small oil slick on the surface of the water, probably from lots of unconsumed flakes. But hey, all my fish survived and didn't start cannibalizing each other....LOL

Features that I really like about this feeder is that you can set multiple feed times. You can set it to feed like twice a minute apart in on feeding. And it has a built in fan to help with moisture.

LMK if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.

I've heard a few comments about battery life? Is that a hassle when they die. And how long is it until they do die? You said you left it for a month, so that says somthing for it...

I also would like to say the feeding twice in a min. Is cool. Could deff. Aid in keeping it spread throughout the tank..
These things are seeming more and more neat :)

hippy guy said:
I've heard a few comments about battery life? Is that a hassle when they die. And how long is it until they do die? You said you left it for a month, so that says somthing for it...

Battery life IME is pretty good. Like you pointed out, lasted a month. I can't really attest to much more because my usage of the feeder is limited. I'm sure battery life is dependent upon the frequency of feedings you program. Overall, I don't see any issues regarding battery life.

Back
Top Bottom