Automatic Fish Feeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edelman12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been using an automatic fish feeder since around the holiday time in my 20g tank. It has been helpful due to my wacky work schedule and not having to worry about feeding times. The only issue I have experienced is the quantity of food being released. It has a sliding valve that allows the food to drop. It is stocked with flakes that are not consistent in size. I was considering taking the flakes out and trying to make them all into a uniform size in order to keep things more consistent. Has anyone else experienced this issue with flake food in an automatic feeder?

Yes, I find auto feeders a bit diabolical anyways on how much drops out but have had better success since switching over to fine-grain pellets.

I avoid them. I just know of too many polluted tanks or malfunctioning feeders.

But yes, pellets should be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree! if you don't have time to feed then I would assume you don't do weekly vacs and water changes. Though I could be wrong. but Just feed when you can. its far worse to over feed than under feed. When I have left for a week I just feed and do a large water change before I leave. No feeding for a week and feed when I return and do another large water change. They will scavenge for leftovers and don't need to be fed daily unless you are growing out fry,

I've left for a week and they are ok.

Or I have someone feed a premeasured amount 1-2x while I'm gone.

I've tried a day of not feeding if I'm late home. Longer than that and the ungrateful sods take it out on the plants which are either uprooted, eaten or just completely disappear (probably thrown over the back of the tank in spite). I've given up. Any tips?

Try pellets in the auto feeder. And check to see it's working. And keep an eye on your water tests.

I love feeding my tank and would feel really sad to not be able to do it. But sometimes life interferes.

I do have time to feed them. I work a full time night schedule so my sleeping and when I am awake is not always consistent. I was out of town for the holidays for a week so I wanted to try the feeder and see how it'd go. I also vacuum and do my water changes every week no matter what. Perhaps I'll give the pellets a go. I appreciate the input

I do have time to feed them. I work a full time night schedule so my sleeping and when I am awake is not always consistent. I was out of town for the holidays for a week so I wanted to try the feeder and see how it'd go. I also vacuum and do my water changes every week no matter what. Perhaps I'll give the pellets a go. I appreciate the input
I just toss some food in whenever I got home, even if the lights are off by then, my glass catfish and clown loaches are actually more active so my rainbows don't eat it all in 5 seconds.

As others have said when I'm away I either toss in a weekend feeder or put some food in a cup and ask someone to come over and toss it in. I'm more worried about my ferts than the food.

Back
Top Bottom