Away for a weekend, looking for a good way to feed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

perry

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I've really appreciated the advice I've recieved on the forum so far, so I thought I would ask for opinions. I'm going to be away for the weekend (leaving Friday and coming back Sunday) and I am wondering what to do about feeding my fish. I imagine this is a common situation for tank owners.

I have a 21 gallon with 13 fish (3 serpea tetras, 3 rummynose tetras, 2 cory cats, 3 oto cats and 2 guppies). My tank is cycled, the water is clear and I only have a small problem with brown algae.

I feed the fish once a day (flakes and freeze dried blood worms), but won't be around to feed them from Friday to late on Sunday night. I don't think missing one day of feeding will be a big deal, but I wanted to get opinions on how long you can go without feeding them and how they should be feed when you are away. I know I will be away for a week in the near future.

Are the "in tank" feeders (the kind that are supposed to release food slowly as they dissolve) any good? Is there a mechanical thing I can get to drop food in the tank over time?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't worry about 1 day, but if you're gone for a week, then if you can get someone to come by and feed them, that's best, the autfeeders are alright, but I found they are a pain to adjust and clog if you have bubbles near them..

Walmart has them for 20$ (rotary type, batt operated) pet stores want over 50$..

I would not worry about it at all. The fish will be fine for two nights; although, they will be very happy to see you when you get back :D
Are the "in tank" feeders (the kind that are supposed to release food slowly as they dissolve) any good?
No
Is there a mechanical thing I can get to drop food in the tank over time?
Auto feeders are okay, but you need to test it before allowing it to feed the fishwhile you are away.

They will be ok for about 3 days. If you get an auto-feeder only go for a Eheim. Its the only feeded that I will use.

I agree with what the last few posters said, "Your fishes can go 3-4 days without a feeding." Remember fish in the wild can go substantial amounts of time inbetween feedings in the wild due to lack of forage. Also it will help keep your tank clean and within its normal chemistry ranges.
Unless you have fry, a fish which requires regular feeding/maintenance or are going to gone more than 4-5 days then I would not worry about feeding while away.
Prior to going away feed your fish a very nutritious/high protien diet (like prepping for a breed) for a couple of days and that'll hold'em over just fine.
Having someone who's not familiar with fish, feed while your away can lead to disaster! Overfeeding and other mistakes are common unless carefully coached, I'd even pre-package and label meals for fish sitters who are not experienced fishkeepers.
Or you can purchase a "quality" auto-feeder and make sure it functions correctly before your trip.
If you were to be gone long enough to warrant water changes and so on, then I'd recommend only a experienced fishkeeper or hiring a tank maintenance service.

Perry if you are not flamiliar with auto feeders i can explain what they are.
It's a device that has a timer, for example if you set it to 24 hours it will rotate and the portion of the food in the right slot will drop the food into the aquarium. They are not quite cheap but they are worth it... for a 2-3 day vacation you could save 40$ by not buying one

pw_908352.jpg

Back
Top Bottom