Axalotils

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Esra

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey,

Anyone here have any experience with these little guys?
Are they generally ok with other fish or do they try and eat them?

Esra

Oh! Zenkatydid has one, I saw it in his/her (sry!) avatar. He mentioned they aren't that uncommon in australia...
It sure sparked my interest.
I read they are endangered in their natural habitat, but are plentiful in labs/captivity.
I also read it's best to keep them by themselves as other fish/salamanders may view their gill-portrusion-awesome-antennae as delicious food.
I would like to know if anyplace in the midwest (near MN?) may have them?

yeah, i have kept axolotls before, they're easy to find in pet shops around sydney, esra i'm sure you've seen them.

you cannot keep them with fish, however, they require a species only tank. anything that is mouth-sized they will eat, and anything else will nibble on their tasty-looking fluffy gills. ithey are also _extremely_ messy so i would not keep one in a tank any smaller than about 20gal. also they can grow up to a foot long (at that size they will need more like a 50gal tank), and if well-looked-after they will live for about 15 years. i have kept 2 together, but they tended to fight and injure each other, so i would only keep one. um, what else... they need to be in water under about 23 degrees celsius - more than that and they freak out and become very prone to disease. they would be happy at 15-20 degrees.

there is a very good axolotl forum at www.caudata.org that you should check out if you're really interested :)

Back
Top Bottom