AXOLOTL "Mexican Walking Fish"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lil Blue

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thinking about setting up a tank with a couple axolotl "mexican walking fish" anyone have any advice on tank set up. Thinking of using black polished river rock that way they don't tear their underbodies on aquarium gravel and so they will not eat the gravel. Any Advice would be help.

They like it chilly with a current. Mid 60 degree water. They are not a fish but an amphibian.

I would go 20 gal minimum for one feeding is quiet messy fish stores will tell you to use large river pebbles don't do it. Your nitrates will go thru the roof. They are a cold water animal they can't usually be housed with other fish as they may become food or sadly you may lose your axolotl. Also they don't like a lot of flow have lots of hiding spaces as well. I taught mine to eat out of my hand he would swim over to me just to eat.

Oops I meant no current lol. Just enough that the water isn't stagnant.

They can grow to 30cm and they can be quite aggressive when large the way I kept nitrates down in my tank is not using the pellets but feeder goldfish they also love some hiding places there tank should also be 100 plus litres.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice everybody.
And if not large river rock what should i use for the bedding?

They don't NEED substrate, but they are okay with having sand in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom