Axolotl Question (Tank Size?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janky

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've just recently stumbled across these guys and am really interested in them.
We have been planning a small tank for our son's room, and I'm thinking an axolotl may be a good idea! (Since we have to cover the top so it wont escape, and as an added bonus our son won't try to reach his hand into the tank :lol:)

Here's my question;
Is a 10 gal really suitable? I've read on numerous sites that a 10g is the minimum for axolotls, and 10 g is the only other tank we have available (or have room for).
It also said they grow to about 10-14 inches, so I feel like it may be cramped in a 10 g tank.

Anyone had luck with this? Or should we reconsider?

I've read up on the low flow, colder water, sand substrate, and live foods or pellet... none of those will be a problem, I'm just concerned about the tank size.

Also, would an actinic bulb be ok? Since it's lower light? Or should I just let the natural light in the room be enough?
Where we would set up the tank would be somewhat shielded from direct sunlight, so the tank will always be somewhat dim without a light.

Back
Top Bottom