Axolotl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oleson29

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi every one! I'm getting an axolotl soon (maybe 2), and I have done some research but I keep reading contradicting things. So I figured I would ask some people who have them. First question, is sand ok on the bottom of the tank? I heard they choke on rocks but bare bottoms stress them out. At pet stores they always have rocks at the bottom of their axolotl tanks. Second question, If I have 2 should I have separate hiding spots or would one big log work?......I would love to hear your suggestions and hear what you all do with your axolotls. Thank you!

Use the finest grain sand you can find and they will be fine :) what is the temperature in he tank you plan to use? Don't get two babies unless you have two tanks, as they are very cannabalistic until about 4" length.

Thank you so much. ... Will they be cannibalistic towards each other if they have been with each other since birth? I have a 20 gallon tank, and I read that it should not be warmer then about 73 or it stresses them out. ....I have a big log in there now but I'll add another hiding spot if I get the second one.

Yes, they will eat each others' legs, gills and tails no matter what. A 20 gallon is really only big enough for one juvenile- you will need to upgrade when it reaches adult size. Yes, the cooler the better for them- if the temp is too high, they will die quickly. If your tank is normally higher than 63, you should consider a chiller, or at least aquarium fans under the hood.

Hi there! Sand is okay for them once they get around 6" or so (in my opinion).. .5 - 1mm grain sand is what should be used. Most of the time the axie will spit out the sand they suck up.. But you want to be safe, especially when they are little!

Honestly I wouldn't worry about cannibalism. Just feed them lots when they are little, they will grow fast and grow out of that stage pretty quick as well. I think 20G is alright for two. I have three axies at about 3" right now, got them when they were 1.5".. They were raised in large groups under close watch and the owner had no missing limbs or gills, neither have I. (Obviously that is only two cases. I'm sure it depends on the axolotls individually) But 20G is enough space for two babies (assuming you are getting small ones?) I doubt they would bother biting each other.

I would recommend you check out www.caudata.org it is a forum site with a lot of axolotl people! They can answer everything for you! You will find a lot more information there.

Axolotl's like little to no lighting on their tanks, caves and tunnels, and cold water. They don't like water flow.. A lot of people don't use filters on their axie tanks. Just do a lot of water changes to keep it clean. I use a filter, i just keep it on the lowest setting and I have plants in the way of the water flow part to make less of a current. They don't need a lot of oxygen in the water so bubblers are not necessary.

You will find a lot of contradicting information on the net, just do whatever works for you! If your pets are happy and healthy then that's all that matters. I hope you get axolotls! They are really cool and very unique!

Back
Top Bottom