Axolotls eating night crawlers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigfuzzymonster777

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, if I were to buy some night crawlers and cut them up and feed them to the axie I will get soon, would that be ok?

Yes, nightcrawlers are fine.

I don't think there are many axolotl people here so that's probably why it's taken a while to get a response.

Night crawlers are fine. Also blood worms are a nice treat.. depending on the size of the axie you could also feed fish fry

I'm probably going to only feed night crawlers, and the occasional black worms. Should I feed anything else?

You'll want a good quality pellet to make as it's staple, just like fish, and feed the night crawlers and black worms as treats a couple times a week. This helps them get all the nutrients they need and also helps them not starve if you aren't able to get to the store for a few days to replenish stock, then they'll still eat for you. Some get really picky when all they eat is live food.
You can also try crickets, brine shrimp, other shrimp, if you need to cull some healthy fry/juvenile fish, and whatever else. Basically anything meaty will work for them.
There's a really good pellet for them available on Katsaquatics.com - most places don't sell anything designed for axolotl's specifically so buying online is your best bet

Oh, and do you have a Walmart in your area? They are much cheaper there than Petco.

Huh... I've read that you should use earthworms as a staple diet....BUT IM NOT SAYING YOU ARE WRONG IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM

I mean, you can do whatever you want, buy from everything I've experienced, read, and been told, just like fish, they should have a good quality food (flake, pellet, wafer, etc) as a staple. I explained why in my last post, so I won't do it again.

Yes night crawlers are fine. So are red worms. Wal Mart is a great place to get them. They have a live bait fridge in the outdoor sporting section at most Wal Marts.

Can you not collect them from outdoors? We call them worms in the UK, they are an excellent food for axolotyls.

Back
Top Bottom