axolotls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axolotl are an endangered species. The glacier lakes in Mexico where they lived were destroyed leaving less than 100 in the wild. Axolotl live 15-20 yrs or more. They require cold water in the range of 60-68 degrees to survive. It is recommended no other fish be housed with them and that they only be kept with other axolotl. No gravel in the tank period! Most owners either go with sand or bare bottom. As far as filters go, they do best with a canister filter with a spray bar. The more walking room on the bottom of the tank the better. You can start with a 10 gallon for one baby but u will have to upgrade tanks fast. A 20 gallon long is better. They don't like lights. If u put a light in the tank make sure it is blue LED moonlights. It's easier on their eyes. They need caves to hide. They require frequent water changes. Also if u don't invest in a chiller, you will have to rotate frozen water bottles in the tank water daily. If you don't they will die.

axolotls?

freshwaterashley…

Did you end up getting one:confused:
They're voracious eaters & will go after anything they can fit in their mouths :slurp:
They are relatively slow, though. I've kept them and would recommend sandy substate, as they'll likely swallow gravel when going after worms/food on bottom.

I thought I'd mention that I was at LFS recently, and in their plant/not-for-sale tank, there was a really cool aquatic salamander, prob 4". I didn't ask, but think it was a siren (native to SE U.S.). Maybe worth looking into as axolotls are getting to be rare & LFS wanted $80 for a big one!

Check and see if you have reptile/amphibian clubs or swaps in your area, they're a great source for unique herps, here's one in the Chicago area:
All Animal Expo Home

Back
Top Bottom