[B]Can you cycle the tank freshwater then add the salt?[/B]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone
I was a little curious about cycling a tank for saltwater use, is it possible to do a fishless cycle using fresh water then after the tank has cycled add the salt?
Just a thought.:morning:

I agree, if you cycle with FW as soon as you add the salt, it will kill off the FW bacteria.

No, different strains of bacteria
I thought the answer would be no, but I've read on some of the forums that people were using gravel and or filter material from a freshwater system to help jump start the process, this is the reason i asked. On another note when performing a fishless cycling of a saltwater tank do you have to change any water during the cycle or only the 50 % at the end of the cycle?

the latter unless the ammonia gets extremely high... greater than 4ppm IME, then I'd PWC to get it back in the 2 ppm range.

Thanks guys, want to get or build a 180 gallon tank and it will get very expensive quickly if i have to do water changes everyday.

About the only thing that using FW filter media to cycle a SW tank would be the die-off, thus an ammonia source.

Yeah, I agree, but if you are converting from FW to SW and already have the filter media.....

raw shrimp is cheaper but people give you funny looks when you just buy 1 shrimp

More to the point... Don't worry about Mg. He ran out of meds. ;)

Back
Top Bottom