[b]Problem[/b]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salty

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello All! It's Salty from Reefaquarium.Info. Sorry it has been so long since the last time I posted on the other site. :eek:

Hey Reefruner or Fishfreek I need your help. :? My 90 gal Reef has a BIG PROBLEM! Last Wed I woke up to find my tank water cloudy (never in 2.5 yrs did this happen). It progressed to a clear slime on the tank walls, then to strips of slime on rocks. My animals looked fine until Fri then my corals wouldn't open up. I quickly did a 25% water change, but it didn't seem to help. I checked all my equiptment for any fouling. None found. I did notice my skimmers are working overtime. I had to empty my cups numerous times Thurs and Fri. I tested all my water parameters with nothing out of the norm. My dKH was 12.1 just a tad high, and my PH 8.0/8.10, I have always had a lower then norm PH with no problem. Thursday my PH didn't seem to move at all, then after the water change 8.4 fell to 8.0. The water change didn't seem to help at all. I do have a very large Magnifica anemone 15" diameter. Could he be puting off the slime? I even thought spawning event, but i quickly ruled that out. This came out of no where! I can post Pics if they help. I am afraid I might loose my tank to a crash! Please help. :?:
:?

Yes please post photos.

You dont say anything about ammonia, nitrite or nitrate readings. What are those.

A ph swing from 8.4 to 8.0 is rather drastic.

The standard water test are normal 0,0,<1.0. The PH norm is 8.15-8.3, but since the problem it stays near 8.0. Give me a minute I post pics.

It certainly appears to be a spawning event from your Anemone. Your skimmer is probably the only thing standing in the way of a total tank crash. I suggest a series of 25% water changes. What you are now seeing is probably a bacterial bloom caused by the dying gametes.

Thanks so much for the quick responses. I'll continue with the water changes and I'll keep you all posted. If anyone else has any ideas please let me know. Thanks again! :)

I hope everything turns out ok. Might I say that your anenome is awesome! I was wanting one but due to the advice i got , i'm not sure im gonna. Spawning is something that can happen with any anenome though. have you had any other problems with this particular anenome. its color still looks great. Any clowns host it?

Thanks for the support! I have had this anemone for about two years. This is the first time he decided to spawn. I wonder how often he will do this. I am happy to report things are looking great now 6th day after the start of the event. I ended up with three 25% water changes. A lot of work, but it is worth it. I may eventually remove him though, because he takes up so much room. I want to stalk the tank with a lot more corals. Here are a few more pics to show the tanks improvement. Thanks again!

Think Reef!

Back
Top Bottom