Baby angel. Deformed? Sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wufghi88

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got two baby angels and one does not seam to be growing and his rear fin is small and it does not seam to be useable.
Has anyone ever seen something like this? Will he be able to live a long life? I know he has a better chance with me then at lfs but I don't want him to suffer.
His buddy was the same size when I got them and he is growing like a weed.
Any info will help , thanks in advance.

image-1230561527.jpg

image-2613388428.jpg

image-3300635095.jpg

The first two pics are of the messed up little guy, the third is of his tank mate that I got at the same time and was the same size.
He is eating and seams happy but I don't want him to become a easy target to the others once they grow a little more.

I have an angel that I call "Stumpy", didn't quite grow her fins out right. Either could have been ammonia burn or stunted growth, could be what you are experiencing. Mine is an adult female now and holds her own, even laid eggs a few times. Sometimes you never can tell when you get young ones like that from the store.

Ok cool.

Thanks for the response pcdebb. The family and I talked it over, we are gonna keep the little girl/guy, it has a way better chance with us then at the lfs just put back in a tank with other more aggressive angels.
I just re sealed a ten gal that I'm going to plant with soil so if he needs a place to him self I can put him in there till he grows a little.

Looks like a deformity to me. Although compared to the other, his fins look clamped, and that could be why he is looking like that. He looks stressed, honestly.

I thought that at first too scottyhorse but he's not. The water is perfect , none of the other fish pick on him. He swims around with the others and he eats regularly.
He kinda acts like his back half is paralyzed and he is just not growing. The other one (tiger) that I got with him has nearly doubled in size and little guy is staying the same. He only uses his front fins to get around.

I have a goldfish with no gill covers. She's also really beaten up, ripped fins bent tail etc. But she's the healthiest fish I own. Sometimes you just never know, maybe she'll be that way too :) She's three years old btw :)

Good to hear. :) thanks for the comment. He/she (little Timmy lol) is by far my favorite. Out of all my fish little Timmy has the most personality and spunk. Lol I just hope it's spunk and personality gets it thru whatever is wrong. :) it is doing a lot better though! It's using its back end even growing a bit. No where as fast as the others but its still fighting. :) gotta love the under dog.

Thought you might wanna see her, she seems to have the most attitude out of all my goldies too lol. Maybe thats a common thing??

ForumRunner_20130629_232734.jpg

It's ok, just like humans are born with deformities like missing or too many toes, that sometimes happens to fish don't worry he will be ok

Agreed GLB!! Only times gonna choose little Timmy's fate. But he has a great family in his corner!! :).

Cant wait to see how he does grow :) gills took a while to grow but finally in the last year or so she got bigger. Lots of good food and water quality really helped.

image-2325739237.jpg

image-350116867.jpg

Update! Lol the first one is just Timmy the second pic is him and his tank mate. They were the same size when I got them. But he's a fighter. :)

Dont worry I'm sure he will :) She was the smallest one in the tank for forever. Now she's bigger than my male lol. In a few months you should post some more photos so we can see :),

I do 75% water changes every week and I spot feed him brine shrimp and blood worms once a day. Lol it's kinda tricky getting the others far enough away for him to get to eat but it seams to be working. He is definitely getting stronger. :)

She didnt really grow a ton until my male became a sinker. Definetly make sure he gets his food. Even if you have to invest in a floating breeder tank to seperately feed him its a good idea.

That's a good idea lol I didn't think about that and I already have one too. I'm gonna try that one! I have been over feeding a bit just to make sure he gets enough. Thanks for the tip. :)

Back
Top Bottom