baby betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have no idea what gender or what kind of betta I have! He was a gift from my grandfather.

Anyway. I've had him for about a month and I adore him. I love being able to watch fish grow. As he matures and colors up I will update this thread. He (Sheldon) lives in a ten gallon with two black Moscow mutt guppies.

If you know what he is, or even if he is a HE, please feel free to chime in.

ForumRunner_20130317_194352.jpg

ForumRunner_20130317_194330.jpg

ForumRunner_20130317_194416.jpg

She appears to be a regular round tail female. Nice colors...

As she ages, she will begin showing a genital papilla, a little white dot around the anal fin. It's a breeding tube. This can appear on males too, but not as pronounced as in females.

David

David

Awesome! Thanks David. What makes you think female? Just curious.

;) that would explain the nonchalant attitude towards the guppies. Lol

What makes you think female?
The shorter tail fin. I will say, though, it's not a good idea to sex a fish when young. If the caudal fin continues to grow then it's probably a male. Males also have a pronounced "beard" in back of the gill cover. That will also come with age if it is a male.

David

Good to know.

I'll keep this updated.... lol I really like the name Sheldon so it shall remain. ;) Shelly

Looks more like a young male to me. The tail already looks longer than most of the females I've seen, and to me it looks like he might be a delta tail. The edges of the fin are crisp, not rounded, and form nice corners. It's symmetrical, so it isn't a veiltail for sure. Very pretty fish!

yup, looks like a young male to me too.
More the dorsal than the anal or caudal as my reasoning though.

Probably a delta, but could be a VT, number of rays should be an easy indicator, Veil tails have 2 or less, deltas have 3-4, Half moons have more..
But my reasoning for delta is because I dont see the slope like VT's have, even most females have that slope. but not enough rays from what I can tell to be HM.

I think it's also a young male, the tail does look longer than most females. Oh he/she's just adorable by the way :)

Saying prayers for Sheldon....

I'm pretty convinced it's a male. As it has gotten larger the finage and coloration has been lovely. As he is getting bigger he is being blown around by the filter. I raised the water level.

He jumped out and I found him in the sink drain. barely recognized him. I put him back in the tank. He is very stressed.

ForumRunner_20130414_185556.jpg

Prayers for Sheldon

I also have a "baby Betta" named Jaws -- I hope your Sheldon will be ok.

They are pretty resilient.

Prayers.

Mary

Attachments

• image-424086422.jpg
    image-424086422.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 90
Bettas are tough. I sucked mine into the syphon, and he was stuck. I tried turning the water on to push him out but the water just went around him and was beating him up! So I took the hose off the sink and blew in it and shot him out! 6 months later and he is fully healed and happy.

Thanks guys!!! You're right, he has been a trooper.

He has a scratch on the head and his color is still off but otherwise okay!

ForumRunner_20130416_092146.jpg

ForumRunner_20130416_092202.jpg

Sheldon is lovely.

My Jaws wouldn't tolerate anyone in "his" tank. He eats snails, and has killed and completely eaten a ghost shrimp and a red cherry shrimp!

I can't seem to get a good photo of Jaws. Your photos of Sheldon, on the other hand, are wonderful!

Thank you!! Those are two pictures of about fifty lol

I've heard that about them... They don't like friends.

He has been living with some neons for about a month and a half though. Completely ignores them

Thank you!! Those are two pictures of about fifty lol

I've heard that about them... They don't like friends.

He has been living with some neons for about a month and a half though. Completely ignores them

Most of my Betta's have been that way, then I got a baby Betta. Lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom