Baby female crawfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rayquaza

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Guys help me my baby crawfish escaped out of her tank last night and I've searched the whole house but I still can't find her please help me.

Are you sure it got out of the tank? Might it be hiding somewhere?

Anything that might have eaten it? Either inside the tank or outside (cats?).

Sorry, i have no idea how big a baby crawfish might be.

No the dogs stay outside and we don't have no cats she didn't even have a tankmate.

You might try adding a container on the floor near but not super near the tank. With treated water, and some stones or a way for it to get into the water. You might find it in there at some point if it did get out.

The kind of container I am thinking would have lower sides and be like a plastic container for food storage or a glass baking dish like for casseroles.

We have a blue who is now an adult. They are very, very good at hiding - that's their thing, waiting for prey. Even if there's nothing live in there to eat (and btw, I've seen ours eat Mystery snails. The first one, he literally got it in a headlock and punched its lights out before sucking out the...I can't go on). As stated above, they are super-hidey after shedding their exoskeleton because they are so vulnerable until the new shell hardens up.

We had this escaped-or-hiding scare many times when Boudreaux was small. Even now you can search and search before seeing his beady black eyes peering out from a hiding place. If you're really freaking out, start removing things from the tank until you either find him or it's empty and then you're certain he's not in there.

Just watch out - fingers are fair game and if he's in there he WILL go after the handy snacks at the end of your hand. One night *someone* came home a little tipsy here and thought it would be a good idea to reach in and pet the cute baby crawfish. Those cuts hurt for days.

If you remove everything and reveal that he really is out, watch your toes - same deal. Unless you hear a sickening crunch when you get up in the middle of the night :eek:

One more thing - they like to dig in and hide in the substrate. They will bury themselves up to the beady black eyes and you'd never know they're there until they leap out to strike. Try a bit of shrimp, unfrozen and slightly cooked. See if she suddenly emerges for the kill.

Back
Top Bottom