Baby Japan Blue Guppies Happening RIGHT NOW! :D Need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callisto9

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 6.6 gallon tank - two males, two females. All four are something called Japan Blue Fancy Guppies. I have a fry net in there and I just saw two fry a few mins. ago. I have moved the fry into the net *with* the two females. Pretty sure I know which female is producing fry, but not sure yet.

I also have a "regular" blue fancy guppy in there who's healing from nipped fins. He normally lives in a 20G tank. He's about twice the size of the "Japan" guppies.

So, I have a fry net and the tank. Should I:

1) Just put the fry in the fry net as I see them? All others left in tank.
2) Put the females in there WITH the fry and leave the males in the tank.
3) Try to figure out which female is giving birth and just keep her and the fry in the net.

What would you recommend?

I have hortwort and some plants/rocks for cover. It's a semi-planted tank.

SO EXCITED!

Good thing I didn't dose the melafix for the regular blue guppy just yet, right?

Here's more pics.

Attachments

• image-741444068.jpg
    image-741444068.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 155
  • image-2355120917.jpg
    image-2355120917.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 150
  • image-2335668302.jpg
    image-2335668302.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 143
Four fry found and put in fry net with females.

Attachments

• image-4220408597.jpg
    image-4220408597.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 143
These are really pretty guppies. Here's a pic of what they look like (I can't get a good pic of them):

Attachments

• jpblueguppystore2.jpg
    jpblueguppystore2.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 265
How will I know when the female is done giving birth? It doesn't seem like she could fit that many fry in there as it is.

Five so far, all found in the main tank. Now in fry net with females.
baby%2520guppies.JPG

I've found a sixth baby, but can't net him yet. I don't want to put the females back into the tank with that "regular" blue guppy in there. I don't want hybrid guppies! I need another tank... LOL

do you flake food? if you do, just crush it up very small and feed a very small amount. or you can tried hard boiled egg and feed the yolk, but going this route can be very messy.

First of all, congrats :) . Also, I recommend removing the mothers from the net if you want the fry to survive because they might eat it. You're tank has a lot of places for the fry to hide, so I suggest just net the fry you see. As for the food, finely powdered flakes will do. But you can culture infusoria, their microscopic organism living already in your tank, get a small jar or something fill it about 3/4 with ONLY your tank water, add a small piece of vegetable matter. Leave it in indirect sunlight for about 3 days and you'll have the fry food, I recommend having at least 2 jars, you can add a piece of a plant and the fry will graze on the microorganisms on it, GOOD LUCK :)

P.S. I saw the infusoria earlier in a jar I collected, and I thought it was debris, but it was moving

Anymore questions, just ask :)

do you flake food? if you do, just crush it up very small and feed a very small amount. or you can tried hard boiled egg and feed the yolk, but going this route can be very messy.

I am feeling them New Life Spectrum fry "powder". So far, so good. I've seen them eating and I've even seen one poop - if you can imagine how small that poop must've been!

First of all, congrats :) . Also, I recommend removing the mothers from the net if you want the fry to survive because they might eat it. You're tank has a lot of places for the fry to hide, so I suggest just net the fry you see. As for the food, finely powdered flakes will do. But you can culture infusoria, their microscopic organism living already in your tank, get a small jar or something fill it about 3/4 with ONLY your tank water, add a small piece of vegetable matter. Leave it in indirect sunlight for about 3 days and you'll have the fry food, I recommend having at least 2 jars, you can add a piece of a plant and the fry will graze on the microorganisms on it, GOOD LUCK :)

P.S. I saw the infusoria earlier in a jar I collected, and I thought it was debris, but it was moving

Anymore questions, just ask :)

Thanks! I'm pretty excited. :) The females have been removed from the fry net. I have 10 fry in the net right now. They have a few pieces of plants in there (hornwort).

Thanks for your help!

When they get a bit bigger go hikari fancy guppy
Pellet. It will beef them up quickly

Full grown, these are pretty small guppies. They are about half the size of the fancy guppies you see in stores.

Thanks for the food recommendation. The fry "powder" I got could last everyone here a lifetime, I think!

Sounds good! Have a corner thickly planted and when you add them in a month or so introduce the their

Here's my fry:

Attachments

• image-1766005344.jpg
    image-1766005344.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 104
  • image-3563114425.jpg
    image-3563114425.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 99
Back
Top Bottom