Baby Ramshorn Snail Keep or Not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jsarita68

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am currently quarantining some plants in a 10 gal. tank that I am also fish-less cycling. I am planning to quarantine fish in it eventually. A day or two ago I discovered a very tiny baby ramshorn snail feasting on some java moss. I am leaning towards keeping the snail but I am not sure as I heard they can cause a lot of trouble in a tank. At the end of the plant quarantine should I put the snail in my display tank with my nerite snail? Will they get along? Soon I will have endler's guppies and platy in the tank. How will the snail and those type of fish get along? Will the snail trash my plants? If i keep the food to a minimum is it possible the snail won't reproduce without a mate? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Display Tank Info:
13 gallon widescreen not coved tank
Quietflow 10 filter
Sand and gravel substrate
One large piece of driftwood purchased from LFS It came out of their tank.
Plants- none at the moment but soon java moss, guppy grass, anubias and water sprite
Heater
Tank temp 80
1 Nerite Snail
8.2 PH, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 5 Nitrates

I like mine and don't have too much problem, and I tend to moderately overfeed (oxymoron?) too I have softer water and wonder if that helps keep them from the mass overpopulation as well. I see you have high pH so I might be a bit more cautious and make sure not to over feed. They really are beneficial to the tank when not over populated.

That all said, where there is one there are usually more.

No issues with nerite.

I currently have a ramshorn snail infestation in all but one of my tanks, but they haven't caused any problems as far as I can tell. They occasionally ride on the nerites, but otherwise completely ignore them.

This morning I was inspecting the tank and what do ya know... I now have 2 Ramshorn snails :) Now I have a much better chance of them breeding. What about live plants and Ramshorn? I heard they will destroy plants.

I have tons of huge ones in my planted tank and they only crawl over plants but I've never seen them eat live plants. They will eat dead or decaying plants and leaves. I would put them in your display tank because they don't do anything to harm the tank.

After doing some research these snails could be miniature ramshorns as their shells lie flat against the aquarium floor. How do you tell the difference between baby ramshorns and the miniature ones? If they are mini ramshorns how soon until they start breeding? I have 3 now.

Colombian Ramshorns have a brown/black stripe and are golden tan. As babies they see pretty flat. there are numerous kinds but the most common ones look like my signature pic only brown to black.

Colombian eats plants and the small ones don't, with the exception of decaying or "dead" plant material, which is what they do is clean up. They can start breeding in a few months, I don't know an exact number. Temperature of their environment can alter their growth slightly colder it is, less quick to mature.

Back
Top Bottom