Baby shrimp in filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lhines

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've got quite a few shrimp in my planted tank and of course they are multiplying. Last time I cleaned my filter, I found quite a few babies in it. I saved as many as I could, but I'm sure we lost a lot. Anyone have any suggestions?

We have a forza fz9. They are getting sucked up in the intake.

I had to Google this. This is a canister filter, correct?
There are foam sleeves that can be fitted over the filter intake. They may clog easily and reduce flow. But they will prevent shrimp from getting sucked in.

My apologies, yes it is a canister. We have tried that and also panty hose, but it does kill the flow quite a bit. I guess we will just have to make it work. Thank you for your help and responding.

No problem. My initial search for this filter yielded some gorgeous Italian sports cars!
I have seen a solution in which a clear plastic water bottle with several 1" or 3 cm holes cut into it is wrapped with panty hose. This is placed over the filter intake. The difference between this and the existing filter intake is surface area; the bottle is larger and provides greater surface area. This is less prone to clogging and reduced flow. Might not be pretty.

Thank you! That is an interesting idea. This take is a 55 gallon and not much room. Don't think that will fit. I will keep it in mind for our 265 gallon when we get it going. That would be easier to camouflage. I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom