baby soft shell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicoandmarilyn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So i found a little fl softy in my backyard. He was dried out and almost dead. Could barely retract his neck wen i spooked him. I kept him in a small turtle tub and bought little shrimp to eat from petco. He wouldn't eat at first so i decided to kill the shrimp and throw them back in there. The next day all the shrimp were gone. Every day he had more and more energy with the dead shrimp. I then moved on to small feeder fish. I had to cut them up for a couple day because that's the only way he will eat them. Now he is hunting for them alive and is very successful. I now have him in a 55 gallon tank with great filtration water is crystal clear . And have pool filter sand for substrate. I would really like to keep him as a pet he has kinda grown on me. Is this legal??? if so does anybody have advise on what other food i can invest in. I am aware of his growing capabilities and he will be well taken care of i have a dock with a heat lamp which he never uses but he seems to b pretty happy. Any other things i should know about him???. Anddddd is 55 gallon big enough for him???

A florida softshell can get 20" long, a 55 is no where near large enough for one, you'd be looking at a 180 gallon at least, if not a larger tank, like a 220

Back
Top Bottom