Baby swordtails and mollys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Walsh92

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have just set up our 4ft 182litre aquarium, it’s about 6 weeks old. All our starter fish are ether pregnant or male. Which I know isn’t ideal as the tank is still cycling. I don’t have much fish experience apart from goldfish so this is new to us so I have a couple of questions.
last night a swordtail went into labour and only had 1 baby but she is still massive, is this normal?
I now have 2 mollys near the heater and swimming up and down the glass, does this mean they are going into labour too?
Attached is a baby swordtail from last night, who is a lot bigger than I thought a newborn would be
Thank you

Hello Walsh...

The only thing you need to be concerned with is the water chemistry. If the tank isn't cycled yet, you should test the tank water daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. Feed the fish a little every day. If you have a positive test for either ammonia or nitrite, remove and replace about 45 liters of water and replace it with treated tap water. When several daily tests show no traces of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled. Then, I'd recommend removing and replacing half the water every week to maintain good water conditions.

B

Thank you for your advice, I am still showing ammonia and nitrite, should I do the 45litres daily until it has gone?

So as long as I keep on my levels and nothing eats them I should have happy healthy babies? Haha with the mums belly still being big will she have more?

Fingers crossed.

I'm not sure on the pregnancy as I don't breed fish but I'm fairly sure she'll have more than one.

I didn’t plan on breeding just yet, I wanted to get used to having fish but that’s life. Hopefully there will be more so Steve isn’t a target. Thank you for your help

There should be more, my swordtails have had at least eight at a time and yes she can space out her young.

Back
Top Bottom