Baby Whale question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cougargirl50

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was at one of my lfs this morning and seen they had a freshwater baby whale there. How big do they get? And does anyone know what they eat. The lfs told me that they dont get to big, I would have liked to have brought it home, but don't know enough about it. And it wasn't even that all expensive, but I thought it was cute.

Thanks a bunch

Baby whale??? In a fish tank at an LFS??? Whales in fresh water? Told you it doesn't get too big? Wonder what too big is. Less than 10 feet? :roll:

Just wonderin' if it's one of those "stories". 'Course, I know nothing about whales, but it sounds suspect to me.

http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/wild/baby_whales.htm

Appropriate home: An aquarium with at least 29 gallons of water, an exterior power filter with a bio-wheel, a maximum of 1/4 inch of gravel, and an aquarium heater adjusted to a temperature between 78 and 82 degrees F.

Each Baby Whale needs its own cave or piece of plastic pipe as a home. Be sure the rocks or pieces of pipe and everything else you put in your aquarium will not contaminate the water.

Be sure their aquarium has a cover because Baby Whales are active jumpers. You should also cover all the holes in the cover.

Recommended Diet: Live Black Worms and other live foods such as live brine shrimp. Most Baby whales will also eat frozen brine shrimp.

Compatibility: One Baby Whale or several but not a few. If you keep 2, 3, or 4 Baby Whales together in the same aquarium, the strongest one will often make the others miserable. In a group with 6 or more the stronger Baby Whales become less aggressive.

Good tank mates for Baby Whales are Elephant Noses, African Black Knife Fish, and Synodontis Catfish. Baby whales are also kept in aquariums with Clown Loaches, Gouramis, and Angels.

Size and Life Span: These Baby Whales will grow slowly to be 8" long and can live for 6 to 10 years or sometimes even longer.

a Baby Whale, which is a member of a group of fish called Mormyrids that are not related to the mammals that are called Whales.

OK. A quote (above) from that link sure helped me. Live and learn.

They are extremely territorial & mean to other fish. I had one in a 90g (grew to around 8") & it "owned" over 1/2 the tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom