Back into fishkeeping? (stocking question)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't know if anyone remembers me. I was really active on this forum about 8 years ago. I loved it here and had a ton of fish tanks. At most, I had 11 fish tanks (all freshwater) 1 55 gallon, 2 29 gallons, 2 20 gallons, and the rest 10 gallons. I had everything from fancy goldfish to live bearers to African cichlids and loved my fish.

But them something really bad happened For no reason, my left hand started hurting. I figured I must have hurt it. I went to physical therapy, but it just got worse- then my right hand started hurting, then my knees. I was also exhausted all the time and always had a fever. No one knew what was wrong with me. Turned out I have rheumatoid disease, also known as rheumatoid arthritis. This is a condition where your immune system goes haywire and attacks your joints and sometimes organs. It is progressive and causes disability and chronic pain. There is no cure.

I was soon in agonizing pain in every joint. My hands got stiff and were so painful I couldn't even hold a book to read. I couldn't take care of my tanks anymore. It was impossible to do the water changes. My fish started dying. So I gave up the tanks- found new homes for all the fish, and completely left the hobby. For the next 8 years, I tried medication after medication, and nothing helped. The pain just got worse and worse. Soon I couldn't even eat with a fork and spoon because it was so painful, and I now have to use a wheelchair when I go out. I can still hobble around my apartment with a cane sometimes, but that is about it. It only took 8 years to go from perfectly healthy and able to walk several miles, to this.

I'm now on a medication called Xeljanz am I am FINALLY starting to feel a little better. The pain is still bad, but I have been able to hold a paperback again, and eat normally. (I still type with voice transcription software) So anyway, for so many years, I missed keeping fish so much. I thought about my tanks a million times, and wondered if I could ever have a fish tank again.

Anyway, because of the improvement, I decided to get a tank, although a very, very little one. I am now cycling a little 5 gallon. I know I can't put much in it, but I thought anything bigger might be too hard- carrying water back and forth really hurts a whole lot. Changing one gallon of water a week I think will be manageable, albeit not pleasant, but I wasn't sure about more than that.

Anyway, I can't have much. But I decided on a betta. I have never had tank this small, and I am wondering if I might be able to swing a tankmate for him. I know there isn't much room. I have had bettas and cory cats together in the past, so I was wondering about a little cory (I heard they do ok alone) but I dont' think the tank is big enough. What do you think? So a shrimp maybe? A snail? or would people advise against a tank mate at all, and just stick with the betta?

Currently I only have the little Aqueon small filter, which came with the tank, Maybe someone has a suggestion for a better filter for a tank that size? If I just stick with the betta, would that be adequate? I know I probably would have to upgrade if I am adding anything else.

Anyway, maybe a betta is all I can have for now, but even this little tank is nice. I've had it set up for 2 days and just walk by it and look at it sometimes. I'm looking forward to adding my new pet(s) as soon as its ready. It's nice to be back. Wish me luck!

Sorry to hear about your health but happy you are feeling better. I think you could definitely go with a snail or shrimp to go with your Betta. By the way......check out the koi Bettas. Pretty cool. IMO, you could get away with a pygmy Cory cat in a 5 gallon....maybe two as they are social with each other. They get about an inch long and it's something more active to watch in the tank. Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom