Backrounds on your tank, I think i have a problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franco7

Aquarium Advice Activist
First of i want to ask if everyone had a good xmas, and if you guys got any cool new thinks for your tanks?

On to the title of the post, I bought a back round for my tank you know one with like plants and a water fall bluh whatever the case may be. Well when i first bought it and put it on it was like all dark and not really very noticable, well i did my water change on my tank and now some of it is real bright and showing up real nice, i think i got water back there some how, but dont know how. I tape the whole thing all edges so it wouldn't happen, but now that i look at it stricking out like that im wishing i could do it for the whole back round so it stands out. Does anyone know what im talking about, and if sooo has anyone done it, or have had this problem? i was thinking taking it off and wetting it, but im not sure how that would work. I will snap a pic when i get home if no ones what i mean, but im sure you guys had to have had this problem and know what i mean. Im realy not even sure if theres water back there, but my whole point is how do i get it to stand out or did you guys do anything special to yours? On the prt that stands out it almost looks as though your liking right at it with not tank infront of you and the other part is real dark almost like a shadow is on it.

Thanks in advanced

I know exactly what you mean. Water is going to get between the background and the tank no matter how much tape is put on it. Well, unless you completly seal it off on all edges. Any small openings and water can get through it. And, if water did get on the tape, it could have loosened it enough for water to get between the background and tank. A suggestion that I have heard of is taking the backing off, cleaning the glass, cleaning the background, then applying vasaline to the background. Then slide it into place and tape. It's been mentioned that this will help keep the background in place and stand out. But maybe someone who has actually done it before could comment.

Hey thats a start fishyfanatic, and actually not a bad idea. So does your backround look all dark and not really noticable too?

My backgrounds all stand out nicely. Well, stand out as much as I want them too. LOL We are in the process of converting all of our backgrounds to Ocean Visions. They are applied with water and stick in place. No tape is needed and they won't come off or loosen unless you peel them off. Then again, all of ours are solid black except for my 55 gal tank. That one has become a pain with water getting between the background and the tank. And no matter how tight I pull it, it doesn't seem to be tight enough because I see it "bulge". But the background does look nice (it's one with a scene) when looking at it. But in pictures it doesn't look so good because then it really stands out since the flash is used.

Yep, vaseline is supposed to work well...it acts like an adhesive.

I only tried it on one tank, and didn't have much luck...but I didn't try very hard either. I'm lazy and like to just paint the backs of my tanks.

I used vaseline - it worked well for about a year and a half until the edges started curling. This past weekend, I replaced the background. The vaseline did something to the old one - it got all bumpy and crinkly. :? Removing the vaseline from the back of the tank was a PITA.

I reapplied the background with olive oil - hopefully this works better.

So when you use things like vasaline or olive oil it gives it that real bright look i take it almost like theres water back there, instead of a real dim look?

I used vegetable oil, and it was relatively easy. I just poured some oil on a paper towel, and then used the towel to apply a thin coat to the back of the tank. It is a little tough getting the background fully in place because it does not slide as much as you think it might. But it isn't too bad. Then, use a credit card or something similar to get all the air bubbles out. (I used a plastic architect's scale)

Any sort of liquid between the background and glass makes the background show through more vividly than if you just tape it. Mine has looked great since using this method. I don't yet know how often it needs to be redone.

So basicly, thats how you get it to show through without being so dark, i mean its looks awesome with the water back there if thats what it is, maybe i'll take it off and dry it, and try oil.

If you are patient and do it right (I used a squeegee to smooth things out), there will be a very thin layer of vaseline or vegetable oil between the background and the outer glass panel. This will...

...hold the background flat against the glass without any bubbles or wrinkles (again, if you are patient and do it right :wink: ).
...eliminate distracting reflections.
... transmit light from inside the tank to the surface of the background sheet.
...result in bright, rich colors as though you were not viewing the background through several inches of glass and water.

As you found out, water does the same thing - but it evaporates and leaves mineral stains. The vegetable oil will last longer and leave no stains when it is removed. Like I said, I found the vaseline (basically a semisolid mineral oil) to be a pain to work with, and it seemed to degrade the background over time - that's why I'm trying the vegetable oil.

Back
Top Bottom