Bacteria bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ojs428

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there, I have just got my first tropical tank. I filled the tank with water and after a couple of days the water has a slight milky look to it. I believe this is a bacteria bloom but what do I do about it or will it sort itself out. There are no fish in the tank yet.

If this is sw it could just be that your sand hasn't settled all the way yet

Hi there, it's a gravel that's in the bottom of the tank which was washed along with the ornaments before water was added. If this is a bacterial bloom will it clear itself?

Keep an eye on your gravel bottom, it will trap uneaten food and poop as crushed coral will. This is why we typically use a sandy bottom to assist with this, for one reason.
If you run carbon in your tank, the milky cloudiness will go away as it is likely a bloom of some sort.

Hi there, I am a total beginner at this fish keeping so not sure what you mean by carbon. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers

Thanks for that info so I put that in and it should clear the bloom? Should I wait until it all clears before I start to introduce tropical fish into the tank?

I think this is a fw tank and this was posted in te wrong section lol. You will need to learn about the nitrogen cycle and cycling your tank. There should be an article on here about it

Back
Top Bottom