Bacteria on filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taiken5968

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am wondering how long it will take for significant bacteria to grow on new media in an established tank. I want to put a new peace of media in my tank so that I can take te other one out and clean it. It is clogged with gunk to the point that water comes out o the over flow. I will run the new media in a different filter then switch it over.

What kind of filter are you using?

Not sure how long it would take to establish the new media (sorry).

What you can do in the mean time is that during your next water change, take out the clogged media and shake, squeeze, and rinse it in the water that was just removed from the tank.

What kind of filter are you using?

Not sure how long it would take to establish the new media (sorry).

What you can do in the mean time is that during your next water change, take out the clogged media and shake, squeeze, and rinse it in the water that was just removed from the tank.

Aqua tech. I have done that several times. It doesn't quit get all the gunk out. I figure if can get bacteria started on the one, and then boil the sh** out of the other one.

I am not familiar with that brand but it appears that it is a cartridge style HOB filter. Since you have two filters running what you might be able to do (space permitting) is take out the media from the old filter and replace it with a new cartridge. Next (of course after you have tested for sufficient space) cut the old media in half and place each half in the filters so that the current runs through the old media before running through the new media. This should help seed the new media.

I don't want to throw away or cut up the old media. I'll just clean it and reuse it. I have been running the new media for a while so it may be ok.

I don't want to throw away or cut up the old media. I'll just clean it and reuse it. I have been running the new media for a while so it may be ok.

I see. When you do clean the first one, keep an eye on the water parameters and do some water changes as needed to keep the levels in check.

I see. When you do clean the first one, keep an eye on the water parameters and do some water changes as needed to keep the levels in check.

I have done two this week so far. I had moved around some decorations and made my water foggy. My weekly water change is tomorrow. So I will do that one, and wait a day then do another one. I'll also add some special blend.

Back
Top Bottom