BACTERIAL INFECTION... Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishOwner

Aquarium Advice Activist
A few days ago I found a shrimp swimming strangely. Thinking it was trying to molt, I tried to help it out. It died within the hour. I found another dead a few days later. Then, I noticed that some of the shrimp had missing limbs. I didn't really think it was a problem because sometimes it happens when molting. I just found another one swimming wrong, with a whitish coloration and a missing leg. I have identified it as a bacterial infection since none of my water conditions are off. Ammonia is at 0, nitrites are at 0, nitrates are 5-10, pH is around 7. Anyone have any ideas to save my shrimps?

If it helps, I got these shrimp from FlipAquatics a while back. They have all been doing well for the past 3 months.

I would email them in addition, to see what their recommendations are.

What are the water parameters?

Ammonia
NitrIte
NitrAte
pH

GH /KH
TDS

if known

Do you top off with RO, distilled or treated tap water?

How much evaporation is needed to refill each week / between pwc's?

How much water do you change and how often?

I have not used this but read about it before from a different source.
This one had good information, but not his water measurements are UK not USA for gallon but he lists them in liters as well.
https://marksshrimptanks.com/2018/10/24/hydrogen-peroxide-in-the-shrimp-tank-game-changer/

Read up a little bit more on this and see what you find out.

I want to use this on a tank with a light amount of algae. So I was planning on checking it out more as well.

Ok, I will contact FlipAquatics.

Params are as follows:
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 5-10 (the API master test kit nitrate test is really unclear)
pH = 7
GH = Don't have a gh/kh test kit
KH = Don't have a gh/kh test kit
TDS = Don't have a TDS tester

I used to top off, but I realized that my already unknown TDS would get higher, so I started only filling the tank whenever I did a water change. Before I started doing this, topping off would usually take 1 to 2 gallons of water. I use treated water treated with API stress coat.

I usually change 20-25% every week and a half, amounting to about 4-5 gallons changed.

I will read through the H2O2 article. By the way, I watched one of MarksShrimpTanks's videos where he said that a full water change and food high in vitamin C would kill off the infection. Is it worth trying?

Do you have any idea if a half dose of Maracyn Oxy will kill the shrimp? It says on the bottle that it's not safe for shrimp, but it could be my last hope as any other access to maracyn of any kind is cut off. Another two shrimp just died and I really need to decide what to do.

I noticed something about every shrimp that has died so far. They all have the White Ring of Death. Does this have anything to do with the infection, or is it entirely a different issue?

Molting I think. So you should do some checking at the lfs when they do your test get the actual numbers of these things and then buy a GH/KH kit. If you want to keep shrimp, it is a really handy test to have.

Foods with more calcium and minerals, shrimp king has Mineral "food". And there are many others with excellent mineral content.

Sometimes too hard of water or water with too high of TDS can cause it to be harder for the shrimp to molt.

You can also look on your water company provider and see their usually, yearly water quality report and see what the normal water range is. I called mine on time and they checked the monthly report they do and told me the minerals listed.

If it the water report information falls in that water parameters for Cherry shrimp, then you will be okay for that, but I would make a point to do very small water changes, like 5% per day for a week, then 5% either 2x per day like am and pm. or 10% if they look like they are perking up somewhat. For another week and maybe even another week. The reason is that changing such a small amount of water really doesn't turn the total volume of water around very quickly.

Use distilled or RO /DI or RO for the volume of daily evaporated water to refill.

This will help keep things on target.

Water volume changing and frequency of changing in a shrimp tank is a hot topic and many people say only very small pwc's.

In the real world it doesn't matter what I do to my tank, if your water is different, and the shrimp you have were raised, over seas, in another county, or across town in different water parameters than mine.

If someone has dialed in the shrimp to be breeding for them, and that is where your shrimp have come from, try using the water in a parameter that they used/ the shrimp were raised in.

You can use a remineralizer and RO/DI or RO water to get the "perfect" water.

It is a bit more cost, and an extra step or 2 but worth it if your "tap" water isn't the right combination for the shrimp.

I checked out my water company's parameters, and they're all in the clear for the shrimp. I found another shrimp dead today with no visible signs of molting stress. I am going to dose liquid Maracyn Oxy that I got from petco for the infection:
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/fritz-aquatics-maracyn-oxy

I hope it works because I'm going to need to get rid of my snails before I dose.

What did you think of the household hydrogen peroxide treatment? Did you find any further information which made you feel that was a poor option?

Oh, the H2O2 slipped my mind. I'll try the peroxide and if that doesn't work I'll try the maracyn.

I watched a youtube video where someone claimed that their snail died from hydrogen peroxide bubbles coming off dying algae. Whichever treatment I go with, I'm probably still going to have to remove the snails. I'm trying the maracyn on a quarantined shrimp with muscular necrosis caused by the infection. After I take the snails out, I'm going to try the peroxide

That's smart, nothing to lose on the QT shrimp. I would remove snails too, if I wanted to make sure they didnt die. I like many kinds of snails. The YT vid may have been too high of dose or the dose was concentrated where the snail was hanging out perhaps.

I will post what happens with the H2O2 treatment. It has an added bonus of getting rid of my green hair algae, so might as well see, right?

I'm getting a new heater tomorrow, so that should get rid of my dependency on room temperature and help my shrimp out too.

Quick question. This question is unrelated to the shrimp and yet I believe it is very important for them. I got a new heater for the shrimp because it's below freezing where I live and I don't want them to suffer. The heater got condensation inside of it a few hours after I started using it. Is that a bad thing?

Back
Top Bottom