Bacterial Infection????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All,

I just noticed that 2 of my Lemon Tetras have a white cotton-like "patch" on one side of their body. On one of them I can see tiny red flecks around the edges of it. Aside from these problems, the affected fish appear normal in every respect.....eating well, very active, etc.

Here are the tank "stats": 20 gall been up & running since mid-October. I've had the Tetras since that time. Tank Inhabitants are 8 Lemon Tetras, 4 Platies, & 1 DG.

I do weekly pwc & gravel vac.........generally replacing 50-60% of the water weekly. Ammonia & Nitrites are 0, and I've never seen Nitrates get above 10 ppm on a weekly basis.

In an Aquarium Handbook I have at home, it recommends salt dips for symptoms like these. Wanted to get some input here on whether this sounds viable or should I go to something stronger?

I did a 75% water change on Sat night after I noticed these patches.

Thoughts, suggestions??

Thanks!

Sounds more like a fungus (maybe Saprolegnia as it is most common). It is crucial you treat as soon as possible. Fungus are usually a secondary infection which leads me to believe your assessment about the bacterial infection is dead on (sorry about the bad pun). Maracyn II is good for gram negative infections (which are more common than gram positive) and malachite green or meth blue works for fungus. There are many fungus meds available so be sure to pick one which is milder as tetras are not known for taking meds well.

So I need to treat with both antibiotics & anti-fungal?

I don't have a Quarantine-tank.......would all of this be harmful to the other fish or are they all destined to get this since they've already been exposed?

Thanks......

Fungal spores are in every tank. Treat the bacterial infection. Healthy fish will fend off the fungus. If you clear up the infection and the fungus worsens then treat for it but not at the same time.

I would treat the tank with Maracyn II, take the active carbon out of the filter as it removes the meds from the water. Depending on the length of time the infection or bacteria has been present in the tank, the other fish may have already contracted it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Will do....thanks!

On the activated carbon......these filter cartridges have been in there for about 3 -4 weeks.....should I still cut these open & remove it or would it be inactive by this point?

Thanks again.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom