Bad chemicals in fish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terrance

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just found out that the previous owner of my 20 gallon tank said she cleaned it with soap and water within the last month. I bought the tank 2 weeks ago and have water running through it with no fish. What precautions should I take to ensure no chemicals are remaining once fish are introduced?

Do you happen to know what kind of "soap" she used?

Also, what kind of filter is running the tank?

What type of filter media? Is it new filter media you added yourself or old filter media she cleaned?

Is the tank cycling?

She said she used "dish soap". It has a filter that runs through the hood of the tank with a biowheel (not new). I replaced the filter media with my own custom filter pad.

The tank is cycling and I don't mind starting the cycling process all over again if needed.

Did you rinse it or clean it yourself before you set it up?

If you rinsed both the tank and filter thoroughly before setting it up, you'll probably be okay.

If not, I'd take it down, either take it outside with a garden hose or set the tank under a facet in a sink or tub and rinse it a very long time.

I'd also go ahead and change the filter media and start over, just in case there are any traces of soap accumulated in the media.

Too bad she used soap. Bleach cleans better, rinses better, kills germs better and can be dechlorinated.

I did a really thorough rinse with tap water when I got the tank and did 15% pwc for the first few days, then I did a complete water change on the 7th day.

You are probably okay.

What are your plans for the aquarium once its cycled?

one rare freshwater puffer fish, should I wait and put in some starter fish to make sure the water is safe for a few weeks?

Not neccissary at all.

Once the tank is cycled, it will be safe for the puffer.

What are your parameters at right now?

And what type of puffer btw? I've always thought they were cool but never kept any myself.

around 3.0 ammonia and 2.0 nitrite. Although I got the tank 2 weeks ago, I started cycling 1 week ago.

I'm going for a surathani longnose puffer (scientific name: monotrete leiurus). Maybe a young humpback/dragon puffer if I'm able to upgrade to 50 gallon tank in the future.

Back
Top Bottom