BAD LFS!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mncspradlin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went to my LFS yesterday looking for a sand sifting goby. My last goby was either an orange spot or a pink spot and we loved him. He was recently found dried up on the floor after a bout of deadly carpet surfing. The LFS sold us a large goby with neon blue freckles, a high fin on the back with 3 spots. We haven't seen it sifting any sand yet so I looked him up on line. I guess he is a watchman/shrimp goby from what I could find. These do not sift sand. BAD LFS!!!!

They also sold us a "red headed dwarf parrotfish" which I found out today online is really a fairy wrasse which as you could imagine is getting along quite lovingly with my 6-line. NOT!!! BAD LFS!!!

Are we the only ones out there with a clueless/deceptive/uncareing LFS??

Just makes you want to scream.

On the other hand they sold me a really COOL plate coral. Looks kinda like an anemone with long tenticles. Guess I'll stick to online purchasing for a while. BAD LFS!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

thats why i always walk into the stores with the book called marine fishs by scott m. micheal :)

Great idea.. The frustrating part is that I knew what I wanted and they lied to me about what the fish were/would do.
All I wanted was a sand sifting goby and they didn't even get that right.

yep:) but if you walk in with your own research bible you will see how fast they will treat you differently :) they will see your smart enough to research before you buy! also i love to see something that shouldnt be sold and call them on it :)
buy the book and keep it in your car then you always have it :)

The one lfs I will buy fish from has that book on the front counter. If they don't know for sure they look it up. Only had 1 problem with all the fish I bought there; another bad case of carpet surfing by a Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse.

An LFS in my area has a book area that also has two computers with an internet connection, so you can research things while you're there. I think it's a really nice idea. :)

Buy that book. It's a great book, and very helpful. But I'm going to come off as hard, but you really need to do your own research before you buy any fish. If you don't know; don't buy it.

We also have a bad LFS, these guys would do ANTYHING to sell people stuff, they had "sweetlips clowns" and told us they were low maintenance (our tank was fairly new back then), of course they died 2 weeks later, when I did research on them it ended up that sweetlips are med. to high maintenance! $65 down the drain. I went back the other day and most of their fish had fins missing, and some what it look to me like ick. What's up with this? :twisted: and to make things worst, this fish store is the ONLY fish store in our town. Now I just order stuff from websites.

yep, unfortunately with buying fish, the burden of research falls on the buyer, not the seller. the LFS is there to make money. The good LFS's try to keep their customers happy AND make money.

Buying a fish is like buying a car...you gotta be on your toes when the salesman starts spewing out facts and opinions ;)

Back
Top Bottom