Bad Nitrate Test Result

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrice

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i add 3 to 8 gram of potassium nitrate in my 30 g aquarium and my result are always the same. 5 ppm. I dont get it? i try 2 nutrafin test kit. I also have green dust algea that indicate i have low nitrate.

When i test my potassium nitrate in RO water my test kit give me the right result.

i conclude, that my test kit is ok and my potassium nitrate is ok
Something is interfering in my result? i dont get it at allIMG_20131202_143426.jpg.

It might be that your plants are using in the 24hour test and it might not have dissolved completely in the 1 hour test. Honestly I am just throwing that out there.

Thats likely not possible, test result where taken different time, many time during the month. but i do like your optimism to find out the problem.

I don't dose nitrates so I'm not sure. I had to really fight to get the balance between my plants and my nitrates and keep them around 5-10. Do you just dose them dry or do you mix with RO or DI water?

I don't dose nitrates so I'm not sure. I had to really fight to get the balance between my plants and my nitrates and keep them around 5-10. Do you just dose them dry or do you mix with RO or DI water?

What i do, is premix my dry fert in a small bottle of RO or DI(i have access to boat). I used to used water from the city, but its full of copper.

A very very popular problem with nitrates tests, is because people don't shake enough bottle #2. If you have a 3 bottle test, then that's bottle #3 you need to shake.

You need to shake it LIKE HELL, as if your life depends of it. Smash it on a table, throw it, shake it, resmash it, shake it, there's a product that glue on the bottom of the bottle. That's the main thing that react with the product in bottle #1, so SHAKE IT MORE.

If you don't exactly know what you're doing, don't dose NO3 under high light, as it can result unexpected algae outbreak.

Tell us new.

Back
Top Bottom