Bad pics but, My first Peacocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Once they mature, color dimorphism makes them easy to tell apart.

Male (color will vary depending on the type of Peacock you have);
img_1338904_0_d2ccbfe699fd917280dcfb669270bf0d.jpg

Female;
img_1338904_1_ab7a24462c6ba3d06b712778afd3d5de.jpg

Once you know you have multiple males you can usually trade them back to the LFS as well. Be aware that some males will take longer to color up. Notice that my male has no egg spots.

First, they are beautiful fish. And it doesn't look like there are any "egg spots". Your male looks a lot like one of my female Yellow Labs
I was only quoting the article that I put on the post. There were other Articles that said the same thing, just not as easy to understand. They can be over technical at times.
The only other way to get the information is to pay a fish vet $45.00 to answer 1 question. Unless it's life or death it's not worth it.

How do you get your fish to hold still long enough to not get blurry pictures?
Yours are perfect, mine suck.

First, they are beautiful fish. And it doesn't look like there are any "egg spots". Your male looks a lot like one of my female Yellow Labs
I was only quoting the article that I put on the post. There were other Articles that said the same thing, just not as easy to understand. They can be over technical at times.
The only other way to get the information is to pay a fish vet $45.00 to answer 1 question. Unless it's life or death it's not worth it.

How do you get your fish to hold still long enough to not get blurry pictures?
Yours are perfect, mine suck.

Thanks Wendi. Male is similar to the L. caeruleus, although there is quite a bit of blue as well, and the body shape is more "humped".

Hope you didn't take my comment wrong, I'm sure that in general male peacocks indeed do have the egg spots, was simply pointing out that it isn't always the case.

As for the pictures, take 100 and throw 99 away ;). If you want clear fish pictures your point of focus should be the eye - if you can get the eye in focus, the rest of the picture usually is as well. HTH

Thanks Wendi. Male is similar to the L. caeruleus, although there is quite a bit of blue as well, and the body shape is more "humped".

Hope you didn't take my comment wrong, I'm sure that in general male peacocks indeed do have the egg spots, was simply pointing out that it isn't always the case.

As for the pictures, take 100 and throw 99 away ;). If you want clear fish pictures your point of focus should be the eye - if you can get the eye in focus, the rest of the picture usually is as well. HTH

No I didn't take it wrong not to worry.
It didn't say so in the Articles that I read or the one I quoted but I added the bit at the bottom about the "eggs spots" being fairly accurate but that venting is the only way to be 100% accurate. But that venting isn't easy and is best left to the experts.
Besides could you imagine the look on some kids face working the fish dept. at petco/petsmart if you started flipping their fish over to check out their boy/girl parts :ROFLMAO:. Someone would call the police for fish molestation :lol:.
So it's best to stay away from the chain stores and go with the best guess you can and if your new girls turn into boys you just take them back to the little Mom & Pop FS and try again.
Thank you very much for the picture tip. I love my fish and some are extraordinary specimens and my pics. really don't do them justice. I'm a pathetic photographer, but I'm trying.
Maybe we should start a thread on tricks of good fish Photos. There is definitely an art to it.

Ok somehow Ive forgotton how to get my photos going, stand by for technical difficulties.

I have three new Peacocks and a little Brown BNPleco

Its great to have more than three fish in a 55 gal tank lol they are pretty active with some even swimming high for brief periods and I have two or three that actually like the cichlid stones (ceramic) that i put in. Fun stuff oh and so far my little BN Pleco is doing well.

Its great to have more than three fish in a 55 gal tank lol they are pretty active with some even swimming high for brief periods and I have two or three that actually like the cichlid stones (ceramic) that i put in. Fun stuff oh and so far my little BN Pleco is doing well.
I hope all your new babies turn out to be little girls.:dance:
BN Plecos are great, they are like watching little sport cars compared to the larger Plecos. I think you'll like him, that is when you can actually see him they can be timid :hide: at times.

Wendi,

Ya so far it is, but it does seem to show itself when I turn on the aquarium lights after about 2 minutes and then generally hides again.

Wendi,

Ya so far it is, but it does seem to show itself when I turn on the aquarium lights after about 2 minutes and then generally hides again.
Just long enough to let you know he's still there and doing fine.
Our BN, Jed, is like that too. He gets along great with my Mbunas and they don't seem to care that Jed is even there.

He has quickly became a loved part of the tank. When I first got him I thought that it would be just a maintanance type thing and of course I would care about him but not like the Africans, well he proved me wrong :)

he looks like he'd be boss. With his fins all up like that. My empress swims around like that, so cool. :-D

Carey,

several of my Peacocks do flare thier fins. It is neat when they are all out of their hiding spots and some are all flared out.

Back
Top Bottom