Baffled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viccy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am losing fish at a rate of nearly 1 per day in my 30g ? Here are the numbers
PH 7.6 , high PH 7.4 , ammonia 0.25 , Nitrite 0.0 , Nitrate 40 ppm

Ammonia should be 0. Nitrates are high too.

How long has the tank been setup? Is it cycled?

You should do daily 30% water changes until things are stable and 40% water changes thereafter.

What is your setup? Stocking, w/c schedule, substrate.

This tank has been up and running for 5 months w/fish I do a 25% water every other day and a 40% once a week I use only RO Water when I change it
The fish I am loosing are Danio's every one else is fine and breeding , just got new fry yesterday from the Platty

Not sure why you are showing ammonia in a cycled tank and high nitrates if you are doing so many water changes, especially when you are using RO water. Why are you using RO water? Is your gravel dirty? You may be overfeeding and the excess food and waste are getting underneath the gravel. I prefer using sand in all of my tanks. Also, adding some live plants helps with the nitrates.

I would try a different test kit. Platies like a high ph. Danios probably don't.

I use am API FE Test Kit , the reason I use RO water I know it's clean water and I don't mind paying for that . This tank has 14 live plants and 2 moss balls . As far as feeding they are feed a small amount of crisps and a cube of either brine shrimp or blood worms every other day , there is a population of 18 fish , 2 mystery snails , and let us not forget the tank has nuisance snails up the wazoo at the moment . I am planning to get a couple of clown loaches in a few days and move snails we want to the over crowded 50g.

Your tank is way too small for clown loaches. They like to be kept in schools and can grow to 12". I keep dwarf loaches in one of my tanks.

Do you have any suggestions , I was go to to small clown loaches and then return them once the job is done

Are you remineralizing the RO water?
Good question, and do you test for gh and kh. They along with total dissolved solids are important with ro water as they supply vitamins and minerals erals the fish need.
Had the same issues usuing ro/tap water mix, must have enough.

No I have not , but I have been thinking about getting a test kit. How did you solve the problem ? Just curious

Yes, I used seachem's equilibrium...adds potash (potassium), calcium, manganese, iron, and magnesium. This will raise your gh. If your kh is low it can lead to pH swings, can control it with seachem's alkaline buffer.

I use a n api test kit for testing kh, gh I use a pool test kit. Lol My lfs didn't carry the gh kit.

Yes, I used seachem's equilibrium...adds potash (potassium), calcium, manganese, iron, and magnesium. This will raise your gh. If your kh is low it can lead to pH swings, can control it with seachem's alkaline buffer.

Same here. The RO is missing much that the fish need.

The process of making ro water strips the water of these minerals.
Remineralizing is putting back the minerals necessary for fish, plants, and snails to flourish.

Usuing ro water improves your control over the water but you must have these minerals for your aquarium and fish's overall health.

Back
Top Bottom