Bak Pak Users

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How much skimmate do you get from your Bak Pak?

• less than a 1/4 cup daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1/4 cup daily

• 1/2 cup daily

• 3/4 cup daily

• Total voters

phases99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I only get about an 1/8 cup daily from my Bak Pak II w/maxijet from my 46g reef. Thinking about upgrading to the Aqua C.

I tend to 1/4 cup a day...usually dumping my cup 2-3 times a week. From what I've heard, this is a fairly 'normal' amount for a 'normal' stocked tank that's not full of messy/carnivorous fish.
This is on a 40g reef...actually very similar sounding to your setup phases99, only I have fewer corals and snails.

I did just recently add the pre-skimmer box...$13 seemed reasonable. Seems to have increases my skimmate production, as I had to raise my cup a tiny bit because it was getting a little thin after the first week.

I have the skimmer box also, I remember at first it actually cut down production because the instructions said to use the sponge at the intake. After I removed the sponge production did pick up a bit. I've recently starting getting some cyano on the sand and its starting to spread. Water tests show no problems and I recently changed my DI cartridge. I added an additional maxijet so I have at least 15x water flow now. Over at wetweb they keep saying you should get a couple of cups of dark skimmate weekly from your skimmer and I am no where near that. It sounds to me like mine is producing about the same as everyone else's. Unfortunately without a sump the Remora sounds like the best possibility for an upgrade. I also ordered some Chaeto for my small refugium hoping that it will make a difference. :?

Clown Monarch said:
1/8 cup per day?

My skimmer pulls maybe 1 cup per month from my 125. Are you disposing of steak-fat and bacon grease in the tank?

It sounds like that skimmer needs a little tweaking. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom