Bala Shark Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TaiN

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok what about a 75 gallon community. Is that too small for two? Would it live ok as a single center piece fish? Nice profile.

Bala sharks have no business in a 75. They should not be kept in typical aquaria IMO. Think 400+G to properly house them.

Sorry I was reading a profile on the bala shark and it was saying you could keep one in a 55. Not that I believed it but I was just wandering if one would live a happy life as a solo. 75 while it was young with future plans of a bigger tank down the road was the idea. I guess I didn't read the stickie ( or how old the profile was yikes)

Sorry I was reading a profile on the bala shark and it was saying you could keep one in a 55. Not that I believed it but I was just wandering if one would live a happy life as a solo.

They should not keep kept alone, they are a social schooling fish that should be stocked with 4-5 fish per tank to overcome their skittish nervous behavior. It's one of those fish that should not be sold since 99.5% of aquarist don't have the tank to house them.

HUKIT said:
They should not keep kept alone, they are a social schooling fish that should be stocked with 4-5 fish per tank to overcome their skittish nervous behavior. It's one of those fish that should not be sold since 99.5% of aquarist don't have the tank to house them.

Definitely. It's like some of the other fish like Siamese algae eater or oscars or clown loaches; they look cute when they're young but then they get massive and most people don't really want to get a bigger tank for them.

Definitely. It's like some of the other fish like Siamese algae eater or oscars or clown loaches; they look cute when they're young but then they get massive and most people don't really want to get a bigger tank for them.

Ummm.... they don't get anywhere near "massive".

Ive always heard at the minimum 100- 120gl. I have a Bala. Use to have 3 but the other two got sick real quick. Im getting a 120gl next month so he gets to have all the room in the world. Hes still teeny tiny so he seems ok where he is now, but soon he will have alot of room.

And no the lfs never asked us what size tank we had. We bought them waay before I did any research on them. Then I felt bad that they were in a smaller tank even though they were still tiny themselves. My one Bala is in a tank with Platys and he seems happy as can be. Even developed their silly behavior.
So before anybody attacks, I AM getting a bigger tank for him soon

Back
Top Bottom