Bala Sharks, Loaches, and Tank Sizes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coldmachineUK

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, could anyone tell me what the recommended min. tank size for a trio of silver sharks (bala shark -> Balantiocheilos melanopterus) would be? I'm reading conflicting articles on the size these fish grow (apparently 14" in the wild but 8-10" in the aquarium).

Also, I know they're a peaceful commumity fish but would species of loach bother them (specifically botia dario, botia kubotai, schistura mahnerti, and schistura balteata)?

Loaches shouldn't bother Balas, but Loaches do prefer to be in groups - so if you're going to add 3 or more loaches, I'd think you're looking at a minimum tank size in the 55-70 gallon range. I'm certain others will promptly shime in w/ higher numbers, but I'm assuming that you're willing to have a proper filter (Eheim 2217 or equivalent) and regular PWCs.

Ooops, my bad, I should say: all those groups of loaches are already present in this particular tank and its the 55G FW tank.
The tank is already well established and cycled, and has an external Tetratec filter (my personal favourite: I use them on all my tanks!). Weekly pwcs of 25-50% (depending on how tired I get!).

I heard bala sharks prefer company: is a duo possible, or am I better with three? That is, if they'll even be suitable!

Bala's are a schooling fish who like a lot of open space and grow fairly large fairly quickly. They should be kept in groups of at least 4. Along with Tinfoil barbs they are sold way too often to people not capable of providing a large enough home for them. In my opinion, I would not recommend them unless you can provide at least a 6' long tank (thus at least a 120 gallon). They will outgrow a 55 in the matter of a few months.

Providing a large enough home they are prefectly fine with loaches of any sort.

Bala Sharks do get big, I had 4 in my 55g and they quickly hit 13". They are also jumpers so make sure the top is secure and there are small openings so they can't jump through. I ended up giving them to a lfs and now have 2 clown loaches and one dojo loach.

Righty, sounds like these guys are a no-no then :(
Grrr, the hunt for a nice centerpiece mid to top level fish continues then in that case!

In my opinion, I would not recommend them unless you can provide at least a 6' long tank (thus at least a 120 gallon).

You can actually buy 75g longs that are 6'.

I know this because I gave one away. For free. As a sort of wedding present. That I still regret to this day.

Back
Top Bottom