Balas in a 75?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cstricklen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am setting up 75-gallon FW community. I started with three little Buenos Aires Tetras and I have added three little Bala "Sharks." I've had the Balas for a couple of weeks and now I have a question about tank mates/tank size.

I thought I would get a Rainbow Shark and a couple Clown Loaches and a Cory or something similar. But I'm afraid the tank is too small for that group of fish. Is my tank even big enough for the three Balas?

I sort of wish I had made the tank a community of African Cichlids, but on the other hand the Balas are the reason I decided to keep fish in the first place. I'm looking for a bigger (used) tank. I'm considering putting the Balas in a bigger tank and converting the 75 to Africans. Does this make sense? Any suggestions? The Balas are only about three inches at this point. Thanks.

Alright, what you need to know about sharks is that you should probably either have 1 shark, or if your going to have a few, you should have more than 6, otherwise sharks will fight and the weaker ones will be miserable. Im not sure if this works with mupltiple types of shark. This is one thing to be aware of or else your sharks will not be as succesful.

I had three Bala Sharks in a 45 gallon tank for 11 years. Bala Sharks are 100% peaceful from my experience and were kept with some smaller tetras. Should they be kept in larger tanks? Yes. Can they be kept in smaller tanks? Yes.

Back
Top Bottom