Bamboo in your aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cinnastix911

Aquarium Advice Freak
Lucky bamboo is neither bamboo nor aquatic. It can survive quite well with its feet wet but won't tolerate being submerged and will rot away.

actually your wrong, I have bamboo and they have been submersed for about 2 years. here are some pic.

It really depends on your water chemistry.

How do you keep the bamboo anchored? I have some that are still in their little baskets, because I don't there there are enough roots to hold it down. So the "bamboo" that you can keep under water isn't really bamboo?

That pic of yours is a different bamboo than I've seen sold around here. The bamboo I've seen sold is thicker and grows in spirals. I've thought of picking some up, but feared that it was a plant that was not really aquatic at all. Is it possible that you have a different type than the kind I see for sale?

That's the same stuff that spirals. They just force the plant to grow in a spiral. All the PetCo and PetSmart stores sell these. I'm just not sure if they're true bamboo. They do fine underwater though.

If you do a quick search for lucky bamboo in one of the many search engines you'll turn up lots of information on the care and keeping of this plant. Here's just one example.

I have heard from one other person who has successfully kept lucky bamboo in her tank. I get the impression that it is not impossible to keep it healthy, just not likely.

I have bamboo in my 2.5 gallon beta tank. Its not submerged, but the bottom 10 inches of it is in water. I DID notice that as SOON as i added driftwood, and the water turned brown, The bamboo grew like CRAZY (but its not completely submerged.)

Sorry for the resurrection, but it's better than opening another topic.
Anybody try lucky bamboo in brackish water? Say, 1.007 at most, half submerged.

Generally, Saltwater and Plants = death of plants. Thats a REALLY weak mixture. I'd say try it. If you have any asian grocery stores near by, (plenty around my parts!) they're 1.50 a stalk. A cheap experiment.

Back
Top Bottom