Bamboo Shark injury help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 4 year old bamboo shark that developed or received a deep wound on his nose, about 3 weeks ago. It normarlly lives in a 700 gallon aq with two other bamboo sharks and two large horseshoe crabs. I suspect that the wound is from the pump intake - screen was off for one day, but it could have been caused by the horseshoe crabs too, but they have lived together for over a year without any problems. I moved the shark into a hospital tank - 50 gallons with a wet/dry sump and protein skimmer - and have been treating the tank with 10 ml of Melafix a day, and the wound is shrinking, but not very fast. The two pictures were taken four days apart and shrinkage of the red area can be seen. The shark is eating and reacts when someone is near by, so that is good. I am wondering if I should just continue with the treatment or switch to something else. Someone suggested Baytril, but I am nervous about switching with out some advice.

Attachments

• shark 2-24-17-339 pm.JPG
    shark 2-24-17-339 pm.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 92
  • shark 2-28-17-10pm.jpg
    shark 2-28-17-10pm.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 86
I'm far from an expert here, but you can see just from your two pictures that the injury is healing. Whatever is currently going on with the shark in its current environment seems to be doing what is needed to heal. Moving the shark can cause additional and unnecessary stress, so if it will heal on its own let it. I would keep a close eye on it. If things get worse, then you will need to do some type of QT setup to treat the injury.

Back
Top Bottom