Bamboo shrimp, trying to escape? Or just feeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tukie2kie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got two bamboo shrimp today and one has been hanging out on teh back of my heater which is right next to my HOB filter and I didnt think anything of it besides the fact that hes filtering out the flow for food untill my other one decided to join him. They both keep getting to the top of the water and they are even going as far as peeking their heads out of the water.

Would they go as far as climbing out of the tank? What can I do to keep them from doing this?

I have shrimp pellets, flake food, and frozen brine shrip, will they not eat any ofthese things? Is that why they are trying to get out?

Tukie2kie said:
I just got two bamboo shrimp today and one has been hanging out on teh back of my heater which is right next to my HOB filter and I didnt think anything of it besides the fact that hes filtering out the flow for food untill my other one decided to join him. They both keep getting to the top of the water and they are even going as far as peeking their heads out of the water.

Would they go as far as climbing out of the tank? What can I do to keep them from doing this?

I have shrimp pellets, flake food, and frozen brine shrip, will they not eat any ofthese things? Is that why they are trying to get out?

They feed on microscopic things in the water column. They are near the output of your HOB for food not to escape :)

My Bamboo shrimp hang out near the top, or attached to my temp sensor to feed, it usually happens in the evenings. I have seen them munch down on a flake and at one time a algae tab but in general they get their food from the water column.

As far as keeping them in the tank, make sure you have a cover, my hood covers my whole tank so i don't worry too much about escape attempts.

-Pleco

my tank is pretty covered but just not on the part where the filter is its about 3 inches by 6 inches of a hole. And as of right now I can only find one of my shrimp, the other one is MIA. I even taped a papertowel over 1/2 of the cutout last night.

You are going to want some sort of current under the water for these shrimp because they filter feed.

I have my filter which has a pretty strong flow and I also have a air feature skeleton that provides a constant flow of bubbles thats really strong, should that be enough?

I don't know if that is enough flow or not...it depends on what size tank it is I suppose. Filter feeders such as these shrimp would enjoy a current towards the bottom of the tank (provided by a powerhead would be nice) as it would make it a lot easier for them to feed. They can just sit there and pick stuff as it floats by. I would guess that you don't have enough current for what they like if they are hanging out by the filter, where the most current should be. Maybe try a small powerhead.

This is going to sound very lame but I have no idea what a powerhead is

I have a 40 tall with two outputs from my filter, and a limewood airstone and they seem to be doing fine. Watch them and make sure that you see that they are molting, that means they are growing, which in turn means they are eating. Also once they get bigger it is impossible to miss their waste.

-Pleco

Thanks, these guys are actualy pretty big, the person at the store says they usualy get them in at 1/2 the size. They are both colored darkish red overnight with a white stripe on their backs. I found the missing one, it just found a clever hiding spot in the tank, they are very interesting to watch.

Okay im starting to read up on power heads,
I have a 20gal FW tank pretty much fully stocked

Does anyone have any reccomendations for a powerhead or any other ideas. I have another airpump I dont have hooked up yet, is there something I coudl use that for versus purchasing a powerhead, i have found a few on Ebay but im not sure what models are good for what size.
I suppose I will need a realitivly small one. Any ideas?

i personally don't think you need a powerhead. Get a airstone of some kind and that should be enough for your tank.

-Pleco

An airstone probably would be fine for a 20 gallon. I would say anything 29 gallons or larger and you would want a powerhead.

I have a skeleton decor that puts out a constant flow of bubbles attached to a wisper airpump for a 20 to 30 gal tank and its pretty strong, woudl an airstone still be necesary? Do i just place the stone under the gravel and hook it up to my pump or is there another way I should set it up?

dont bamboos require a somewhat mature tank, i've heard of them starving to death in newer set ups

Not sure but probably because a new tank woudlnt have much if any micro organisms for them to feed on, my tank is about 6 months on going so id hope there are plenty for them to eat.

Tukie2kie said:
Not sure but probably because a new tank woudlnt have much if any micro organisms for them to feed on, my tank is about 6 months on going so id hope there are plenty for them to eat.

You should be fine :) Feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions :)

-Pleco

Back
Top Bottom