Bamboo Shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got a bamboo shrimp about two and a half months into my aquarium's life. We just adore him! Playing Where's Shrimpy is crazy as get often hides on the undersides of the leaves to filter. Although I'm into my fourth week with him and he is much less skittish of us now! He is always up from cleaning gravel or filtering. My boyfriend loves taking pictures and videos of him. He has also shed once since coming in and now has an awesome stripe down his back! :) They are super cool! :)

He should live. Mine was very very shy at first and now doesn't care much at all and will sit right in front. Whats a cbo? Or was it cbp? Ummm.

He should live. Mine was very very shy at first and now doesn't care much at all and will sit right in front. Whats a cbo? Or was it cbp? Ummm.

You're probably thinking CPO. It's a dwarf orange crayfish. I ordered 4 of them the other day, they should arrive in the mail soon!

They get about 1.5 inches and they are mini crayfish that are safe with fish and plants. Plus they're bright orange... Can't go wrong!

I hope so! i haven't seen much activity from him too much haha.
also yeah they are safe with fish unless the fish is super slow and can be caught by the CPOs lol

Good News! today after the lights had been off i saw Pita (GF named my Bamboo Shrimp) on top of my plants and he was filtering! :D

Our bamboo shrimp attached himself to a leaf and was standing upright and filtering!
He is sooo cool! Love him!

ForumRunner_20121216_100200.jpg

ForumRunner_20121216_100217.jpg

I've had these shrimp twice. Unfortunately they both didn't live as long as I would have liked.

I did a lot of research on them and the biggest thing I learned about them was that are most likely wild caught because they aren't breed en masse.

Because of this, there's no telling how old the shrimp is when acquired. And yes they are filter feeders and will be attracted to water flow( in my case my HOB outflow).

If they are seen picking at the substrate, it's supposed to be a sign of being underfed. A reddish tint is a sign of good health and demeanor.

Mines actually molted a few times before he finally passed but good luck with your shrimp!!

They're super small and have no chance at getting my big angel...

But if I see the angel picking on the CPOs, I'll move them to my shrimp tank with cherries and OEBTs (also shipping Monday).

Just something I wanted to point out.....don't move an angelfish into a shrimp tank!!!! The minute you walk over to the tank again you will see no more shrimp and one fat angel.

Very nice bamboo shrimp!

I was talking about moving the crayfish (CPO) to the shrimp tank. Moving the angelfish to the shrimp tank would just be homicide :p

I've actually had my CPOs for a few days now and they're doing great with my angelfish and rainbow shark. The only fish to bother them was the shark but the crayfish pinched him and I haven't seen him near the crayfish since... They're so cool!

I also have some skirt tetras of different colors in that tank but they are oblivious. The BN plecos don't mind them either.

So my bamboo shrimp has been cleaning the gravel - does this mean hes underfed and if so what do I feed him?
Also, he is hanging out on the new sponge pre-filter I had to put over my filter's intake valve after an unfortunate accident with our snail.
The new snail is being picked on a bit by my gouramis...big ol bullies!
Does my shrimp look good though??

Occasionally I spot feed them. Mash up normal food to dust like consistency add a few spoons of tank water in a bowl use either a straw or better a turkey baster, you can get them at the dollar store. Slowly squirt little amounts above the Bamboo shrimp, sometimes it takes a couple of attempts to to get them to understand food not scary!

This is also where there is a problem for keeping a Bamboo shrimp in a dwarf shrimp tank, which is supposed to be pristine, and a Bamboo Shrimp which is supposed to filter excess food particles. And excess particulate matter shouldn't be in the pristine shrimp tank... The two things don't exactly match up.

The happiest mine ever was, was living in the guppy fry tank, lots of excess food particles from fry food!!! He lives in the community tank since I'm not focusing on baby guppies.

Back
Top Bottom