Bamboo shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snailpufferguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I plan to get a bamboo shrimp for my ten gallon and maybe a few for my 60 gallon along the line but I'm very new to these kind of shrimp I know ghost shrimp eat algae and that's easy to take care of but what do I need for a bamboo shrimp thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know that for bamboo shrimp they need perching spots to sit on and feed out of the water column. They don't have grabbing arms like other shrimp, instead they have 2 fans that they use to catch micro organisms and crustaceans out of the water. Because of this you need a strong flow throughout the whole tank. This is where a powerhead comes in handy. I would only add them to your 60 gallon because that probably has a lot more food for them and you can add a couple powerbeads without making everything fly away, like it would in a 10 lol. Also note that they do get pretty big, around the 4" mark.

Ok thanks I'll take that into consideration

I recently added 2 bamboo shrimp to my 55 well established, planted tank with driftwood smack dab in the middle of the outflow and powerhead stream. But the shrimp don't seem to sit there when the powerhead is on, it comes on with the led lights on a timer. Should I change this to keep a current running at night? I know the bamboo love to hide so I was thinking maybe they didn't like being out in bright light.

Maybe try putting them on separate timers idk just a suggestion and the bright light sounds like part of the problem idk for sure though

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom