Banana Plant Gone Wild!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quake2player

Aquarium Advice Activist
I knew I should've been video-taping the outrageous progress of my banana plant.... I could be making millions with....

"Banana Plant GONE WILD!"
... started off in early March like this:

BananaSAE.jpg

to this at the end of April (notice the runners shooting out of it and this leaf totally covers the "bananas"):
BananaBigBarbs1.jpg

One of the lillies on top:
BananaRunner1.jpg

Oh, and I've already snipped one of the lillies off leaving a about 4-6 inches of the stem to test out the theory I've read from a couple of places... waiting for "roots" to grow out of this detached lilly... been a couple of weeks and none so far. So until then, I'm not sure about how to propagate this puppy. I figured I'd share this as many wonder about how banana plants propagate. I'll post an update in another month or when something happens.

Very nice...looks like mine (I have oddly huge success with bananas and lotus plants). As for propogation, I have found that waiting until the root mass is quite large and simply seperating off a few at the most likely point of seperation works well.

Toirtis said:
As for propogation, I have found that waiting until the root mass is quite large and simply seperating off a few at the most likely point of seperation works well.

Thanx Toirtis. Now that's a totally different theory I've heard on propagating... but it makes the most sense.

- So when you say "until the root mass is quite large", are you referring to the normal looking roots it shoots out from "top" of the bananas into the substrate?
- Separating off a few: do you mean separate off one of the banana looking roots?

Back
Top Bottom